Friday, April 16, 2010

Shrimp tacos with Chipotle Coleslaw

Have I said I love experimenting with tacos?? And I love Shrimp and I happened to get some out to thaw before leaving for work this morning not quite knowing what I was going to do with them. But here's what sounded good and what I did. Then when I went to make my coleslaw, this Chipotle coleslaw recipe was on the lid. Just what I needed, Thanks Bobby Flay! Mmmmmmm betcha can't eat just one!

Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Coleslaw
2- 14 ounce packages 41-60 raw Shrimp
1 package Grill Mates Baja Citrus marinade
1 package classic coleslaw mix
Chipotle Coleslaw sauce (see recipe below)
2 avacadoes, sliced into thin strips
grated colby-monterey jack cheese
12 corn tortillas

Chipotle Coleslaw Sauce
1/2 cup Best Foods Real Mayonaise
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned, I just used 2 peppers and a spoonfull of sauce and keep the rest in the freezer)
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a blender until smooth.

First, make coleslaw sauce. Put Classic coleslaw mix into a large bowl, pour coleslaw sauce over and toss to coat all the coleslaw. Cover and set aside in refrigerator 30 minutes or until ready to eat.
Next take the shells and tails off the shrimp, place in a medium size bowl. Mix the Baja Citrus marinade according to directions on package. Pour marinade over shrimp and toss to coat. Set aside in refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes.
While shrimp marinades, slice avacados and place on plate, I drizzle a little lime juice over them to keep from browning. Next you can grate cheese and place in bowl so you're ready to eat.
Heat grill. I use a vegge grill tray to cook my shrimp on so it doesn't fall thru the grates, so I heat that up too. When hot pour the shrimp out onto the vegge tray and spread out into a single layer. Grill for two minutes. Then turnover and grill another 2 minutes or until shrimp has turned pink and curled up. Remove from grill into a bowl and cover.
Cook tortillas that have been sprayed with pam either on the hot grill or preheated 375 degree oven. I lay them straight on the grill close lid and let cook 1 minute, flip over and cook 1 minute more. Place in a towel lined dish with a lid to keep warm. I do 6 at a time.
Assemble tacos by laying about 6 to 8 shrimp on half of tortilla, sprinkle cheese on next, add a spoonfull of coleslaw, a slice or two of avacado and you're ready to eat!!
These are Yummo!!! Right up there with fish tacos at the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...