Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cake Balls or should we call them Cake Truffles?

I love oreo truffles, I've got that recipe posted on here already. But I had been seeing cake balls that look very similar, and looked up a few recipes on how to do them. I thought they would be fun to try since it's Christmas time and everyone makes candy. This weekend we took treats to church, it's a tradition after our Christmas lesson with the Young Women, so I thought I would make Oreo Truffles and then try some Cake Truffles. They were easy!! I used 1/2 of a cake mix because they make alot and I wanted different flavors, so I halfed the mix by measuring out the dry ingredients in the mix and them putting half back in the box (you can make it at a later time and bake in a 8 or 9 inch layer and have a small cake, or combine two for a double layer with two different flavors!). Then I followed the recipe on the box only cutting everything in half. I tried white cake mix, and since I love lemon, I put 1/2 of a can of lemon pie filling and about 2 ounces regular cream cheese in it. Then I tried  a german chocolate cake mix and mixed German chocolate frosting in it. Both were awesome!! I will post here using a full cake mix, but remember you can always divide them in half. Also you can do any flavor, like chocolate with a cream cheese frosting would be good, or white or yellow with cream cheese frosting! I think anything would turn out good!

Cake Truffles

1 boxed cake mix (any flavor)
1 container frosting (I think cream cheese frosting would go with plain cake mixes, I used german chocolate for the coconut and nuts, or you could use chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting too)
White chocolate almond bark
Milk chocolate dipping chocolate

Preheat the oven to 350.
Mix cake mix according to the directions. I baked mine in a flat jelly roll pan  that I had greased and lightly dusted with a little cake mix, and it only took about 12 minutes to cook. Let cool completely.
When cake is cool break up and put in a food Processor, and pulse until cake is the consistency of cornmeal (really fine crumbs.)


Place in large bowl, then add the container of frosting, and mix with an electric mixer until it's all combined together.

Line a cookies sheet with parchment or wax paper. Roll the cake mixture into about 1 inch size balls. Then chill.

Melt the almond bark and dipping chocolate and dip half of the balls in white, and the other half in chocolate.

Then chill in the fridge for a few minutes. When set, Drizzle the opposite chocolate over the top for a fancy design.

Bet you can't eat just one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...