Saturday, January 8, 2011

Quesadillas de Camarones (Shrimp Quesadilllas)

I was hungry for something different yesterday, so I surfed the Internet for some ideas. While on the Pioneer Woman's blog, I ran across this recipe. I love shrimp and mexican food so I had to give this a try. It was delish! You can find this recipe at http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/quesadillas-de-camarones/ but I will post it here as well. The only thing I did different was use more shrimp. I used about a pound of the 31-40 size shrimp. I also used the regular size flour tortilla's, but the snack size might be easier to flip and a good appetizer size. We just had them as a main course for dinner so the bigger ones were good. I served mine with a salad and a dollop of guacamole and salsa.  I suggest you make these today! Enjoy!

Quesadillas de Camarones (Shrimp Quesadilllas) 
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 6 approximately

Ingredients:

Flour Tortillas
12 whole Large Shrimp, Peeled And Deveined (I used about 1 pound of the 31-40 size frozen raw shrimp)
8 ounces, fluid Mexican Red Sauce (I use the El Pato sauce in the yellow can in the Mexican food section)
1 whole Large Onion, diced
1 whole Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 whole Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 cups Cheese, Grated (Monterey Jack Is Best)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt To Taste

Preparation Instructions:
Take tails off shrimp, pour red sauce over shrimp. Set aside.
Heat skillet over high heat and add olive oil. Cook vegetables over high heat until they start to get brown/black. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Return skillet to high heat, then dump in the shrimp with the sauce. Cook, stirring only occasionally, until shrimp is opaque and the sauce is mostly evaporated, should take about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and chop into bite-size pieces.
                                          (this is how my veggies and shrimp looked at this point)
In a separate skillet, heat butter. Place a tortilla in the skillet, then layer on ingredients: cheese, vegetables, and shrimp. Top with a little more cheese and a second tortilla. Cook on both sides, adding butter before flipping to the other side so the tortilla isn’t overly dry.
Remove from skillet and slice into wedges. Serve with rice, beans, salsa, sour cream, guacamole—whatever you’d like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...