Monday, November 21, 2011

Gourmet Caramel Apple Cookies

I found this recipe one day while browsing different internet sites and blogs. I love making cookies around Holiday time to eat and to give to neighbors and if you know me... I love trying out new recipes. I LOVED this one, I love caramel and apple together so I had to try out this recipe. It was good.. but I used craft caramel instead of ice cream topping, thought it would hold up better and it did. While this was a good cookie, I thought it needed more apple flavor, but I posted it anyway... next time I may try 1 1/2 cups diced apple.... or maybe some apple cider in the dough?? but the cookies were good and looked fancy and weren't all that hard to make. Go here for the original recipe. Enjoy!

Gourmet Caramel Apple Cookies
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. caramel flavoring (I didn't have this so I substituted 1/2 tsp. butter extract)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 medium Granny Smith apple, diced {about 1 cup} I microwaved mine for 1 min. and let cool.
1 c. almond and pecan pieces
1 tbs. dark brown sugar
20 caramels or 3/4 cup caramel bits
2 Tablespoons cream
1/2 cup each milk chocolate and white chocolate chips or candy melts
 
Instructions:
Cream together butter and sugars. Add the egg and flavorings and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside. Use one tablespoon of the flour mixture and toss with the diced apples until they are well coated. Mix in the flour until it is well incorporated, then add the apples. The dough will be sticky but firm.
Next combine the mixed nuts with a tablespoon of brown sugar. Drop dough into the nut mixture by the tablespoon and roll until well coated with nuts.
Bake the cookies at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until starting to turn golden around the edges (all ovens are differnt, this is how long I cooked mine). When you remove them from the oven use a cookie scoop or spoon to make an impression in the middle of the warm cookies.
Melt the unwrapped caramels or caramel bits in a small bowl with the 2 Tablespoons cream in the microwave for 45 seconds, then stir. Continue to microwave for 15 to 20 seconds at a time, stirring aftwards until it's melted. Let cool a little while your cookies bake.
After cooling, use a piping bag to fill the cookies with caramel. Drizzle the cookies with melted white and dark chocolate. I put the chocolate into piping bags as well or you could use a sandwich bag with one corner snipped off.
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...