Sunday, April 14, 2013

German Chocolate Brownies


I love chocolate.... and nuts.... and coconut. YUM. I was watching Trisha Yearwood on the food network last weekend, and she made German chocolate brownies... Why have I never thought of that? I always make German Chocolate Cake! But anyway, I used my favorite Saucepan brownie recipe and then iced it with Trisha's Coconut Pecan icing... just a note, this Frosting recipe makes a ton!! It's 4 cups of frosting, so either half the batch, or freeze half of it after it's cooled off, then thaw and ice another batch of brownies when you crave them again. (That's what I did and the frosting freezes well!) Also for those of you who like a mocha flavored brownie, add a packet or 2 of instant coffee to the butter and chocolate mixture while it's melting.  I love chocolate, nutty brownies! Enjoy!

German Chocolate Brownies 

Melt in saucepan:
1 stick of butter
2 - 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate

Remove from heat and add:

1 cup of sugar

Stir then add:

2 eggs, one at a time, stir after each

Then stir in:

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Then add:

3/4 cups flour
dash of salt

Next, stir in

1 cup chopped Pecans

Stir till well mixed. Bake in greased (or parchment lined) 8 x 8 pan at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes (or until desired doneness, I like mine slightly gooey)

Cool and ice with Coconut pecan icing.


Coconut Pecan Frosting:
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups grated coconut
1 1/2 cups pecans (or you can use walnuts or almonds), finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine the evaporated milk, sugar and egg yolks in a saucepan. Stir with a wire whisk until the yolks are fully incorporated. Add the butter and melt, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the mixture thickens, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add the coconut, nuts and vanilla extract and let cool. Yield: 4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...