Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pulled Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

My life has been way busy lately, and full of changes, but I did find time to make pulled pork tacos, you know how I love tacos!!  I saw the Neely's make them a while back on the Food network. Although, I didn't look up their recipe and did my own thing, these turned out way yummo!!! I made a pineapple salsa to go on the top, and also pico de gallo. We liked them best with a spoonful of both on top with cheese and an avocado slice on top. Yum!!!

Pulled Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

1 Pork Roast (any kind, I used a pork shoulder roast about 2 to 3 lbs)
salt and pepper
Chili powder
Ground cumin
Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup diced onion
olive oil
12 Corn Tortillas
1 Avocado, sliced into thin strips
Pineapple Salsa (recipe to follow)
Pico de Gallo (see recipe under salsa's)
Grated Cheese

Place Pork roast in a crock pot along with the chicken broth and season with salt, pepper, Chili powder, ground cumin, and a little cayenne pepper. I just sprinkled some of each of the seasonings all over the roast. After this cooks you can season to taste. You could also just pour on some enchilada sauce instead of chicken broth.  I let my roast cook in the crock pot all day while I was at work. This makes it fall apart when you are ready to make the tacos.
When pork is done remove to a plate, strain juice and set aside. Let the pork cool slightly until cool enough to handle. Pull apart and shred with a fork.
In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon or two of oil, then add the diced onion and saute for 2 or 3 minutes. Then add shredded pork, cook 2 or 3 more minutes until hot. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. Add a little of the reserved juice if pork is on the dry side.
Fry corn tortillas in skillet with about 1/2  inch of hot oil 1 at a time for about 30 seconds or so on each side, drain on paper towel. ( You want to cook them, but you still want them soft).
To assemble, spoon a spoonful or two of pork on 1 tortilla, add a spoonful of pineapple salsa and pico de gallo if desired. Sprinkle on some grated cheese, and add a slice of avocado. Fold over like a taco and enjoy!!




Pineapple Salsa
1 medium size pineapple, cored and quartered
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper (or two if you like spice)
At this point, I grilled my pineapple and veggies on a grill at medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they had good grill marks, turning after 5 minutes. I think grilling them just makes the flavors of each taste a little sweeter. You don't have to grill them at all if you don't want to.
Cool, then dice everything and place in a medium size bowl.
Then add:
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want your salsa)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
Toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...