Saturday, March 3, 2012

Bacon and Cheddar Scones

I love the laziness of Saturday mornings!! I sleep in and when I wake up I watch the food network in bed until my stomach growls so loud my hubby kicks me out of bed to go make breakfast. I ran across this recipe on the Internet one evening (click here for the original recipe). I LOVE scones... both the biscuit type and the kind that is fried bread. Usually the biscuit type are a sweeter version... this is a savory version but it is sooooo good for Breakfast or brunch! These were pretty easy to make too! I liked mine cut in half with a runny egg on top YUM! My hubby liked his better warm from the oven with honey butter on it! Either way its a good way to start a Saturday I think!  I served these with cut up fruit with yogurt on the top for a side. Enjoy!
Bacon and Cheddar Scones
Yield: 8 large scones
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, frozen
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 pound bacon, cooked, cooled, and chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions:
 Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook your bacon as desired, I like to cook mine in the oven at about 400 degrees, I place bacon on a cooling rack which I have placed in a cookie sheet and I bake for about 20 minutes. Perfect bacon! When done remove from oven and let cool until you can handle it, and chop into pieces.
While bacon cooks, Saute your onion in a Tablespoon of hot oil in a small skillet, this only take about 5 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
 In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using the large holes of a  grater, grate the frozen butter into flour mixture. Use the tips of your fingers to work in the butter (the dough will be crumbly).
In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream and egg until smooth.
Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Stir in the cheese, bacon and onion until they are well incorporated into the dough.
Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. At first it may seem like there isn’t enough liquid, but as you press, the dough will come together.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat into about a 6-inch by 15-inch rectangle about 3/4-inch thick.
Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 triangles; I do this by cutting the rectangle in half, then each half in half again so you have 4 squares, and then cut each square at a diagonal and viola! you have 8 triangles!
place the scones onto prepared baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to lightly brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream, this will help you achieve a nice golden brown color. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes:
- If you really want to take these to the next level, slice a scone in half and top each half with a fried egg.
- These scones are best served the day they are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...