Thursday, May 16, 2013

Chicken Salad

I am funny when it comes to chicken salad. I don't like it when you aren't sure what's in it....  and I really don't like grapes and nuts and all that in my Chicken salad. I will eat it if I'm served it like that but I like a more savory salad I guess. I ran across this recipe on Pinterest, but tweaked it a bit to suit my taste. It was delicious in my home made Pitas with lettuce! Enjoy!

Chicken Salad
3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 stalk celery
1/8 of a medium size onion
Salt and pepper
Place all the ingredients above in a large soup pot with a couple of dashes of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn heat down a bit and simmer the chicken for about 20 to 30 minutes until its cooked through and tender. Strain the chicken by dumping the broth into another container through a strainer. Remove chicken to cutting board and let cool. (I like to freeze my broth for use in soup or something at a later time). Throw away the cooked celery and onion, it's used to help flavor the broth and chicken. After the chicken cools, shred or chop it and set aside.

Next, in a large bowl mix the following:
1 to 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise (start with 1 cup and add more if necessary)
1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smokey paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix together then add the following:
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 small can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained, (then I roughly chop them)
the shredded  chicken
1/2 cup grated cheese
Toss everything until it's all combined.
Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
Remember you can add more bell peppers if desired or onion or cheese according to your taste.
Serve in Pitas, or sliced croissants or dinner rolls. YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...