Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad

I love fall... and harvest time and the fact that my garden seems to be exploding with produce. I have an abundance of cucumbers right now. I don't really like to make pickles since we don't eat them that much, but I got this recipe at the kitchen meetings I go to. This was supposed to be a zucchini salad but I thought I'd try it with cucumbers. It was good made with zucchini, but cucumbers are better! Love it! This is a refreshing side dish to serve with grilled meat. I grilled steaks and we had this on the side along with roasted potatoes. YUM! Would be good to take to a pot luck too! Enjoy!

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad
Servings: about 7

In a large bowl, empty one (1 oz.) package Dry onion soup Mix.
Pour 1/2 cup White Wine Vinegar over the onion soup mix and let stand for 5 minutes.

Next add:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground Black pepper
1/3 cup vegetable oil (or olive oil)
2/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
7 medium cucumbers (each about 5 to 6 inches long) thinly sliced

Toss to coat the vegetables with the vinegar mixture. Chill in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours--stirring occasionally. Hint--I put mine in a large Tupperware bowl with a tight fitting lid, and every hour I would turn mine upside down, then the next time I'd turn right side up, kept doing that until I was ready to serve.
Drain off any extra liquid before serving.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...