Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Hawaiian Coconut Rice with Red Beans (aka Rumbi Rice)

I ate at "Rumbi" Island grill for the first time the other day... I tried their fish tacos... and oh man, best fish tacos I have found so far (other than making them at home) But they served this yummy coconuty red bean rice on the side! and then I found the recipe on the Internet!!!  I make my own fish tacos but I usually make them different every time I do!  This rice is a perfect side for a tropical fish taco with cilantro lime coleslaw and pineapple salsa on top.... makes you feel like you have escaped Idaho weather for a minute and been transported to Hawaii! Enjoy!

Hawaiian Coconut Rice with Red Beans (aka Rumbi Rice)
2 c. long grain white rice
2 1/2 c. water
1 (14oz) can coconut milk (about 1 1/2 c.)
1/2 Tbsp. sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed

Combine all ingredients in a rice cooker. Gently stir it all together so the beans are all mixed. Place the lid on and start the rice cooker. Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
If you don’t have a rice cooker… Combine water, coconut milk,  sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Stir in rice and beans. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...