Monday, July 21, 2014

Hawaiian Haystacks

Hawaiian haystacks... hmmmm I don't really think they are Hawaiian, but they are yummy. The first time I had Hawaiian haystacks was at girl's camp years ago. I have made them a time or two since then although I can't remember what recipe I used. My office made them for an office pot luck one day and I loved the recipe for the gravy so that's what I'm posting here. This is a good recipe when you need something yummy, easy and to feed a lot a people (it's easy to double). My committee that I was on for the Community Dinner Table made these one year and had a Hawaiian theme going on, was fun and yummy. For that recipe we used a country gravy mix and pineapple juice in the gravy... kind of added a different flavor. But here's my recipe, I got it from a friend I used to work with, only I added the seasonings.... reminds me of thanksgiving the way it smells. Enjoy!

Hawaiian Haystacks
3 cans Chicken broth (the ones that are about 16 oz.) (see *Note below)
2 Tablespoons Chicken bouillon

Heat the chicken broth and bouillon until hot but not boiling.

While it's heating:
Mix together in a quart canning jar:
1-1/2 cups cold water
5 heaping Tablespoons flour.
Shake well until all the lumps are gone...(if you can't quite get rid of the lumps use a strainer when pouring this mixture into the broth).

Once your broth is hot... pour the water / flour mixture into the broth, stirring constantly and let it come to a boil. It will thicken just a bit so give it a minute. If it is not thick enough you could add an additional 1/4 cup water mixed with 2 Tablespoons flour... but be careful. If you add too much the gravy will end up tasting like glue. :) As the gravy cools it will thicken a bit too.

Now add:
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed thyme
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk this up so there are no lumps then add:
 2  or 3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (or turkey works too) you can add more or less depending on how thick you want your gravy to be.
Let this simmer for 5 to 10 minutes so the flavors get mixed together.

*Note: I usually cook up a chicken or some chicken breasts in a crock pot and I will add that to the gravy... so go ahead and add the drippings from cooked chicken as part of your broth. Or if you are in a hurry canned chicken works, or sometimes I will just grab a rotisserie chicken from the deli and that is always good too.

Serve the gravy over hot cooked rice.

Then add any of the following toppings:
Cheese
Chopped Celery
Chopped Onions
Diced green pepper
Diced Tomatoes
Pineapple tidbits
shredded coconut
Slivered almonds
Chinese noodles
Soy sauce
sliced olives
and anything else you can think of ...it's all good
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...