Sunday, January 18, 2015

Best ever Maple Bars

I experimented with my own recipes yesterday... I love my baked maple bars, but yesterday I thought I would try my favorite Scone recipe and ice them with the maple icing from my maple bar recipe.... oh my goodness! these are better than any maple bar bought at a bakery ever! Especially when you eat them warm with a glass of milk for breakfast! Enjoy!

The Best Scone Recipe
1 Tablespoon yeast (1 envelope)
1/4 cup warm water
1 Cup Warm water 
1/4 cup shortening 
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
2 1/2 cups flour 
1/3 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten 

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water ( I added 1 Tablespoon of the 1/4 c. sugar.) Mix dry ingredients together then cut in shortening. Add egg, water, & yeast mixture until you have a smooth dough. Add more flour if needed ( I add about 1/2 cup or so more flour. You need to be able to handle it.)
Place in an oiled bowl and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Heat oil in a dutch oven and roll out dough to 1/4" thick. Cut into pieces and fry on both sides until done. Top with Honey butter or jam! YUM! :o)

For maple bars ice with them maple icing and top with chopped cooked bacon if desired. 

Maple Icing
1/3 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 teaspoons mapleine (found by the flavor extracts and seasonings) or maple extract ( I used 3 teaspoons)
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a small saucepan mix butter, brown sugar and milk. Bring to boil for medium heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes. Add the mapleine, salt and powdered sugar and blend well with a hand mixer. Add a little more powdered sugar if needed (I added about 1/4 cup more)

Dip the maple bars in the warm frosting until coated on the top, sprinkle with chopped cooked bacon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...