Monday, October 18, 2010

Cheesey Sun-Dried Tomato Bread

I was experimenting with bread over the weekend. I made homemade Vegetable Beef soup (yes, this recipe is on my blog too) on Sunday and wanted something to go along with it besides plain white bread, so this is what I came up with. (don't judge mine by the picture, I let it raise while I was at Sunday meetings and it got a bit over-proofed! thus mine had a muffin top!) but it was yummo!!

Cheesey Sun-Dried Tomato Bread

1/2 cup Milk -scald in small saucepan, remove from heat and add:
2 Teaspoons Salt
3 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup or more diced sun-dried tomatoes
 (I use the dried kind that are usually in the produce department instead of the ones bottled in oil that's why I put mine in with the milk so they can soften a bit,  but you can use either)
Stir; let cool to luke warm.


In large bowl combine:
1 and 1/2 cups luke warm water
1 pkge. yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar

Whisk together in mixing bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes till bubbly.
add milk mixture to this, (be sure it's only luke warm.. too hot and it kills the yeast!)

Add:
2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup grated cheese (I used half pepperjack and colby jack cheeses, use your favorite)
 and mix well ( I use my Kitchen Aid and mix this all together for about 3 minutes)

Then add 2 to 3 more cups of flour one cup at a time.. while mixer is going till the dough is just right the right consistency.. I keep the mixer going for about 5 more minutes.. That way you don't have to knead it ( or you can hand knead it for 5 to 8 more minutes) Dough should be smooth and elastic. Put into a greased bowl and cover. Let rise for an hour or until doubled. Punch down and divide dough in-half, form each half into loaf shape and place in greased loaf pans. Let rise until doubled or just so it's beginning to dome up above the sides of the pans ( it will rise a little bit in the oven too) Bake a 375 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and rub entire loaf with butter.
Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...