Sunday, August 19, 2012

Shredded Brussels Sprouts

As you know I love watching the Food Network on Saturday mornings, and I saw this recipe the other day and had to give it a try. I've always wanted to cook Brussels Sprouts and make them taste good, they can be on the bitter side I think. My hubby doesn't like them so I thought if I can find a recipe that we like (or should I say that he would eat) then it would be a good way to incorporate them into our diet... after all, I get tired of the same old vegetables that I cook everyday. We LOVED this recipe... who doesn't like anything with bacon in it? Jamie Deen only used 1 strip of bacon, but I did 3... love bacon. Feel free to cut back to one strip if you like. I served this with grilled chicken, but it would be good with any grilled meat as a side dish. Delicious!!

Shredded Brussels Sprouts
adapted from Jamie Deen's recipe / Food Network

Ingredients:

3 strips bacon, cooked and  sliced into bite-size pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced (or 1/4 cup diced onion)
6 ounces Brussels sprouts (2 big handfuls)
Pinch brown sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
Cook the bacon until crisp in a large skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. When cool slice into bite size pieces (I think it's easier to cook the bacon first then cut into bite size pieces)
While the bacon is cooking, cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts. Then chop the Brussels sprouts in half. Lay them cut-side-down and finely chop until they are all shredded.
Leave a couple of Tablespoons of the bacon grease in the skillet and add the garlic and shallots (onion) then saute until fragrant and the shallots are soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the Brussels sprouts and saute until tender crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a pinch of brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice. Saute for 1 minute more. Toss with the chopped parsley and bacon. Serve hot or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. i love this recipe! i have made brussel sprouts this way for years nd everyone loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the only way to cook brussel sprouts! YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...