Saturday, January 16, 2016

Taco Chicken and Quinoa Salad bowl

I have been doing the 21 Day Fix since last August... I have lost 20 pounds and last time I measured 16 inches over all. I FEEL better and have more energy and eating healthy has become a happy habit and exercising is my way to unwind after a day a work instead of vegging on the couch and eating.... My challenge is to come up with healthy recipes that are ok for the 21 day eating plan. I love making meals that aren't just meat and salad but a little more exciting. I came up with this recipe the other night and it's delicious! Feel free to substitute things that you have on hand... I just added things I thought would be delicious. Enjoy!

Taco Chicken and Quinoa Salad bowl
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 taco seasoning packet (your choice of brand)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Lime juice , optional
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (I only used about 1/2 a can)
1 can corn, drained and rinsed (I only used about 1/2 a can)
Salt and pepper
Cumin, if desired

1 cup Quinoa, cooked according to package directions
   Salt and Pepper, Garlic powder, and onion powder for seasoning, unless you use an already       seasoned package of Quinoa

Salad mix
Grated cheese
Salsa
Ranch dressing

First- Mix the taco seasoning with 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and a couple of splashes of lime juice in a large bowl. Slice your chicken into thin bite size strips and place in bowl with marinade. Toss to coat. Set aside.
In Large skillet heat a Tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced bell pepper and onion and saute about 5-10 minutes until tender. Add the Black beans and corn and saute another minute or two, season to taste with a little salt and pepper and cumin if desired.
When veggies are tender remove to plate and heat another Tablespoon of Olive oil in your skillet and add the chicken-marinade and all to the pan. Cook over medium high heat until chicken is cooked thru and no longer pink. Your marinade should evaporate or become thick as well.
When chicken is done , add your veggie mixture and toss until combined and warmed thru.
While the veggies are cooking start your Quinoa. I followed the directions on the package and since mine wasn't already seasoned I added a dash or two of salt and Pepper and a little onion powder and garlic powder.  Could also add a little cumin to this if desired.
 When everything is cooked Assemble your salad.
I did this by placing 2 cups of my salad mix to a bowl. Then I added a 1/2 cup of Quinoa, then 1 cup of my chicken mixture. Next came about a Tablespoon of grated cheese, A Tablespoon of Salsa sprinkled around and A light drizzle of ranch dressing...
YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...