Saturday, November 20, 2010

Catfish Po' Boys

I love Catfish, especially when it's breaded in corn meal and fried (or  is that the only way to eat catfish!?) I get the catfish whenever we go to Texas Roadhouse! Yum! So when I saw this recipe on "5 Ingredient Fix" it looked way good so I had to give it try. It was yummo! They didn't put the coleslaw on it, but I thought it would be even better that way and it was! yum! Hope you like it as much as I did!

Catfish Po'Boys


Peanut or canola oil, for frying
4 hoagie rolls or 1 French baguette (I like to use the Hard Rolls from Walmart- they are perfect!)
3/4 cup corn meal
2 tablespoons Creole seasoning (recommended: Tony Chachere's)
 salt and  black pepper
4 (6 to 8-ounce) catfish fillets (I used frozen Catfish nuggets that I found in the freezer section at Walmart-2 or 3 pieces is perfect for one sandwich, I did about 12 or 15 pieces and we got 6 sandwiches out of it)
Remoulade sauce (see recipe below)
1 small package coleslaw mix (I put have the remoulade sauce on half a package)
 hot sauce, for serving

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a heavy-bottomed pot, (Dutch oven) heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 365 degrees F.
Slice the  rolls in half, (not cutting through), and put them on a baking sheet. Lightly toast the bread in the preheated oven.
Combine the corn flour, seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste, in a shallow dish. Pat the fillets dry and dredge them in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking of the excess.
Once the oil is properly heated, carefully drop the catfish into the oil. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot. Fry until golden brown and beginning to float to the surface, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Carefully remove the fillets with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain them on paper towels.

When ready to assemble, Spread both top and bottom half of roll with a little remoulade sauce, put 1 catfish fillet (or 2 or 3 catfish nuggets) in each toasted roll and top with coleslaw, and drizzle with hot sauce to your taste. 
Enjoy!!

Remoulade Sauce

1 green onion, green and white parts, chopped
1 cup Best Foods Mayonaise
3 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Hot sauce, to taste
Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Pulse all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
This made enough sauce so that I used have to spread on the rolls, and the other half on about 1/2 a small package of coleslaw. In the half for the coleslaw I added a dash or two of chipotle powder.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...