Monday, November 29, 2010

Leftover Turkey and Dumplings

Well, I needed to clean out my fridge after Thanksgiving, I had turkey, a small scoop of mashed potatoes and turkey gravy. Also had leftover chicken broth and turkey stock from roasting the turkey. I had this dumpling recipe that I wanted to try, so I threw this and that in a pot and then did the dumplings and Yum!! Perfect for a cold winter's night, and it used up my leftovers!! You could also  do this with cooked chicken and just chicken broth.

Leftover Turkey and Dumplings

For the dumpling dough:
1 egg
3 Tablespoons cold water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup all purpose flour

In a medium bowl whisk together the  egg, cold water, oil and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the flour. Mix until well blended and elastic. (dough will be sticky, but don't worry, you'll add more flour when rolling out into dumplings.) Cover and let dough rest in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 an hour.

For the soup (or should we call it Stoup, because it's like stew and soup)
5 cups chicken broth or stock (I used both chicken broth and turkey stock -just so you have 5 cups)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
3 to 4 cups chopped cooked turkey
*1 cup leftover mashed potatoes-Optional,if you need to use them up, if not, recipe will be good without
*1 cup leftover turkey gravy--use it if you have it, if not, still will be good.

Bring the broth to a boil, then add the vegetables, and turkey to the pot. (**I also added about 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes, and about 1 cup of leftover turkey gravy. The pototoes dissolve into the broth and thicken it a little and add flavor!)  Let simmer until veggies are mostly tender.
When veggies are tender, but not mushy, strain the veggies and turkey out of the broth, return broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
Roll out dumplings by dumping the dough out onto a well floured surface, (Make sure this is well floured, you don't want the dumplings to stick) I floured the dough well on both sides and flattened a bit with my hands, then I used a rolling pin. You want the dumplings about 1/16 inch thick- you'll almost be able to see through them. Then, using a pizza cutter cut into 1 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch pieces.









Add dumplings to the pot of boiling  broth , I just picked them up and plopped them into the pot, after you get them all in the broth, time for about 3 minutes. DON"T stir them, you can shake the pot a bit, but let them cook without stirring.
After about 3 minutes the dumplings should be done, then add the cooked turkey and vegetables back to the pot and stir gently. You can add about  1/4 cup heavy cream at this point. I didn't because I had added the mashed potatoes and gravy, so my broth was thicker. Taste and add more salt if necessaary, and pepper.
Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy! Yumm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...