Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pecan Pie--so good you will cry with joy!!!

I think my favorite pie is pecan pie. I take after my Dad with my love for nuts or anything with nuts in it. I found this recipe on http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/. The only thing I did different was add another cupful of whole pecans on top... you can't ever have too many nuts can you??? Anyway, this recipe was to die for! I know Thanksgiving is over, but Christmas is on the way. The pioneer woman had lots of yummy looking pie recipes, I had a hard time trying to decide which one to make. I think for Christmas I will try the key lime pie.
You can use your favorite pie crust recipe, there are tons out there. I have a pie cookbook, and I use the crust recipe from that a lot, so I will post that one here. Enjoy!!

Pecan Pie
1 whole Unbaked Pie Crust (see recipe below)

1 cup White Sugar
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Salt
1 cup Corn Syrup
¾ teaspoon Vanilla
⅓ cup Melted Butter (salted)
3 whole Eggs Beaten
1 cup (heaping) Chopped Pecans --I add another cup whole pecans to look pretty on  the top)

Preparation Instructions:
First, whip up your pie crust.
Next, mix sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl.
Pour chopped pecans in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
Pour syrup mixture over the top. Then add the cup of whole pecans on the top, sinking them into the egg mixture a little.  Cover top and crust lightly/gently with foil. Bake pie at 350ยบ for 30 minutes. Remove foil, then continue baking for 20 minutes, being careful not to burn the crust or pecans.
NOTE: PIE SHOULD NOT BE OVERLY JIGGLY WHEN YOU REMOVE IT FROM THE OVEN. If it shakes a lot, cover with foil and bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes or until set. Required baking time seems to vary widely with this recipe. Sometimes it takes 50 minutes; sometimes it takes 75!
Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. Serve in thin slivers.

Basic Pie Crust

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter flavored crisco, cold
3 to 4 Tablespoons ice cold water

Stir flour and salt together in a medium bowl, or food processor. With a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas (or pulse 5 or 6 times in a food processor until it resembles cornmeal). Add the smaller amount of water and toss with fork until all flour is moistened and mixture starts to form a ball (or pulse a few times until you can mush it together and it sticks into a ball) If necessary, add remaining water to crumbs in bottom of bowl. Gather dough in your hands and gently shape into a flat ball. Wrap in saran wrap and let sit in fridge for an hour or two. This lets the water soak into the flour.
I always roll out in between two sheets of wax paper, that way I don't have to add more flour. Then peel off one sheet of wax paper and lay over pie plate, then peel off the other sheet of wax paper. Crimp the edges.
This recipe makes a single pie crust. Double the recipe  for a double crust pie and form into two flat balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...