Friday, December 17, 2010

White Chicken Chili

I got this recipe off of http://thepioneerwoman.com./ I have been sick with a terrible headcold the last couple of days and wanted some chicken soup. This sounded way good!! And it was just what I needed with chicken, lots of garlic and green chili peppers! Yum!! The only things I did different was I used leftover cooked chicken that I had on hand and I  added 10 cups of broth, I like my chili a little soupier than this recipe looked. I also added fresh chopped cilantro at the end. Yum!!

White Chicken Chili
1 whole Fryer Chicken, Cut Up (or 3 Cups Cooked Chicken) (I used about 4 cups diced cooked chicken)
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
4 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 whole Cans Green Chilies, Chopped (I used 2 4oz. cans)
1 pound Dried Great Northern Beans, Rinsed
8 cups Chicken Broth (I used 10 cups, I figured the beans and the chicken would soak up alot)
1 whole Jalapeno, Sliced
1½ Tablespoons Ground Cumin
½ teaspoons Paprika
½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
Salt To Taste
Pepper To Taste
1 cup Whole Milk
2 Tablespoons Masa (corn Flour) OR Cornmeal
1 cup Grated Monterey Jack, or I used Cecique Cheese-Queso Quesadilla (found in the Mexican Cheese section)
Sour Cream For Garnish
Cilantro For Garnish (I put 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Cilantro in at the end when I added the milk mixture)
Guacamole (optional)
Pico De Gallo (optional) (I used Salsa)
Tortilla Strips **see hint below

Preparation Instructions
Cover chicken and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove meat from bones. Set aside.
In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chopped green chilies, then rinsed beans. Pour chicken broth into the pan. Add sliced jalapenos. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to low, (you want to keep this simmering at a low heat).
Cook for 2 hours or until beans are done. Halfway through the cooking process, add the cooked chicken.
When beans are tender, mix milk with masa (or cornmeal) and pour into the chili. (add the chopped Cilantro if desired) Cook for an additional ten minutes to thicken. Check seasoning and adjust, adding more cayenne pepper,paprika, salt and pepper if desired.
Add some Monterey Jack cheese to the pot and stir to melt.
Serve chili in a bowl. Garnish with, sour cream, extra cheese, tortilla strips—even pico de gallo (or salsa) and guacamole, if you have some on hand.
 
**To make Tortilla Strips:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut corn tortillas (I used about 6) into aproximately 1/2 inch strips. Place on cookie sheet and spray the strips with Pam spray and sprinkle with salt. Toss and spray with Pam again and sprinkle with salt again. Bake  for 10 to 15 minutes until crisp. (these will crisp more as they cool).

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...