Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sour Cream Potatoes (aka Funeral Potatoes)

One of my favorite things at Christmas time is Sour Cream Potatoes, and nothing goes better with ham. It's been a tradition for Christmas dinner at my house for as long as I can remember. I had to make a huge batch this year, and we just about finished the whole thing. Sarah especially loves them. I know a lot of people of different variations of this recipe, but this is the one I got from my mom, and the one that I love most. Enjoy!

Sour Cream Potatoes

2 or 3 baked potates, grated (depends on the size of the potatoe)**
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teapoon black pepper
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cube butter, melted
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 8oz. container sour cream
1/2 cup grated cheese for the top

**I bake my potatoes the day before I'm going to make this recipe. I always wrap them in foil then bake until fork tender, then cool and put in the fridge overnight. Then when I'm ready make this recipe, I peel them and grate in my food processor, the food processer gives you a little thicker grate than hand grating.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in a medium size saucepan, add the diced onion to the butter while it's melting. I cook the onion in the butter for about 5 minutes, that way it's cooked a bit before adding to the potatoes.
While the butter and onion are cooking, spray a 13x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place the grated potatoes, cheese, salt , and pepper in the pan, I toss to combine, set aside.
When onion is translucent, add the can of cream of mushroom soup to the saucepan and heat through. Remove from heat and add sourcream, stir to combine.
Pour the sauce over the potatoes in the baking dish, then I run a knife through this so the sauce can sink down into the pototoes. Smooth the top with a spatula and sprinkle the top with about 1/2 cup cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...