Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pecan Bars

I got this recipe from the Food network, it was from Clair Robinson, host of 5 ingredient Fix. I gave it a try and took to a Young Women's Thanksgiving Feast where we all brought our favorite dish of Thanksgiving. I love pecan pie and thought this would be something close to pecan pie that I could share. At first I wasn't very impressed with this recipe. It tasted good, but was kind of hard to bite, kind of reminded me of a toffee bar, but after I put them in a tupperware container they softened up and everyone loved them!! So I will post and let you give them a try, I've been asked by a couple of people if I was going to post, so here you go. Enjoy!

Pecan Bars
Yield :24 bars

Ingredients
Crust:
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cubed, plus more for dish
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Filling:
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
Pinch salt
1/3 light corn syrup
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with foil allowing an overhang about 2 inches off the sides. Butter the foil. I used parchement paper and it worked fine.
In a food processor, blend together flour, sugar, butter and salt until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add 2 tablespoons cold water and mix until the dough just holds together. Press dough into bottom of buttered baking dish and bake in oven until golden in color, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the butter, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the corn syrup, flour and pecans and mix until just combined. Spread the filling over the baked crust and bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the pan.
Remove from pan by pulling up the foil sides and putting it on a cutting board. Cut bars in desired size with a sharp knife and arrange them on a serving tray. Can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...