Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chewy Lime Sugar Cookies

I love Christmas time, and I don't feel like it's really the Christmas season unless I've baked a ton of cookies and treats. I found this recipe on http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/ and had to try it! I love lime flavored anything (especially the keylime truffles at See's candy shop!) So I had to give this recipe a try. And it had toasted coconut in it as well, you can't go wrong with that either! These were yummy for a change! I also used Baker's sweetened coconut because that is what I had on hand, and I will definitely use that again. I thought I might try making another batch and use lemon zest and lemon juice, I think it would be just as good!

Chewy Lime Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one large lime, finely minced
3 tbsp lime juice
½ cup unsweetened toasted coconut (I just used Bakers sweetened coconut)
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Toast the coconut by spreading the coconut on a shallow baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Watch this closely, it seems to take a long time to start browning but once it starts it's quick and you don't want to burn it.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lime juice and lime zest.
5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients and toasted coconut.
6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...