Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Oreo Cookies

I love this recipe, I used to make them quite a bit, and when I did I had to be sure to share with my brother, Kim. I hadn't made them in soooo long I had forgotten about them, but my sister Juli requested the recipe, so this one's for you Jules! The original recipe called for mint flavoring and green food coloring in the frosting, but I like to make the frosting with vanilla extract so the cookies taste like homemade Oreo's. Enjoy!

Homemade Oreo's

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 drop or two of coconut extract (optional)

For the chocolate cookies:
Cream butter and sugar together, then add the egg and vanilla, beat well.
In a separate bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternatley with the milk, mixing well after each addition.
Form two 10-inch logs and wrap in wax paper, chill well. Cut into 1/8 inch slices and place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.
Make frosting while the cookies bake by combining the powdered sugar, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth and creamy. (may need to add a bit more milk to get the right consistency) you want the frosting thick but spreadable. It's fun to add food coloring for colored oreo's, or you can add different flavorings to the frosting instead of vanilla. I like a drop or two of coconut extract along with vanilla in mine.
Cool cookies completely, then ice the bottom of one cookie and place another on the top so you have a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...