Thursday, January 27, 2011

White Chocolate Pecan Blondies with Maple Butter Sauce

I made these for my son's 22nd Birthday. Andrew has never really liked normal birthday cake, so I'm always trying to come up with something different, we've done ice cream pies, regular brownies, ice cream cake, cheesecake, so when I saw this recipe I thought "Yummo!! There's Andy's Birthday 'Cake'"! You can find the original here http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts. The were a few things  that I did different: the original recipe called for walnuts, but I only had pecans (I like those better) So that's why I changed the name. I also changed from 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon vanilla, my fave chocolate chip cookie uses that amount and they are way good, so I thought it would make these even better!! I also used a whole package of white chocolate chips instead of 1 cup. You can't have enough chips right?  I have posted the recipe like I made it here. These are similar to a dessert you can get at Applebees.... Enjoy!! (also, I forgot to take a picture until we had eaten some!)

White Chocolate Pecan Blondies with Maple Butter Sauce

IngredientsFOR THE BLONDIES:
3 cups All-purpose Flour
¼ teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
10 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
2 cups Light Brown Sugar
3 whole Eggs, Lightly Beaten
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
½ cup Chopped Pecans
1  (12 oz) package White Chocolate Chips
____

FOR THE SAUCE:
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1-½ cup Heavy Cream
6 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
3 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup

Optional Garnish: Vanilla Ice Cream, Chopped pecans

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt & baking powder. Set aside.
In another large mixing bowl, mix melted butter with brown sugar until well-blended. Add in beaten eggs and vanilla. Stir well.
Slowly add flour mixture to butter/sugar/egg mixture. Stir thoroughly but take care not to overmix your batter. Fold in nuts and chocolate. Batter will be thick.
Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray, then pour batter into 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake for about 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick inserted comes out clean).
For the sauce:
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat (do not allow butter to burn). Then add heavy cream, maple syrup and corn syrup. Allow this mixture to simmer over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. This is the hard part: waiting for the mixture to reduce and thicken. You don’t want to bring this to a boil, just a nice, slightly bubbly simmer. Stir it occasionally. Once it has reduced by about a 1/3, it’s ready.
To serve: you can heat up blondie on a cast iron skillet and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or you can just heat a slice of blondie on a plate in your microwave for about 25 seconds.  Or you can do like I did and served while still warm from the oven. Add a scoop of ice cream on top then pour the warm maple butter sauce on top and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
He looks happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...