Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes

Diet ? what diet? So much for New Years resolutions.... It's been sooo cold and gloomy, I've had to whip out my comfort food recipes, and this is one of my favorites I think. I almost forgot about this recipe! This is one of the recipes I got from my mom, I love scalloped potatoes, nothing like potatoes and a creamy cheese sauce... and I added bacon to it, I love bacon and potatoes together. This is good served with any cooked meat, I served mine with hamburger patties. Yum!

Scalloped Potatoes

2 large or 3 medium size potatoes, sliced very thin (sometimes I peel mine, sometimes I don't)
1/2 cube butter (1/4  cup)
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup chopped, cooked bacon (i use the precooked kind, or you can use real bacon bits either)
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 to 2 cups grated cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Put sliced potatoes in a medium size pot and cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain, they will finish cooking in the oven. Set aside.
While potatoes cook, start making the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium size saucepan. Add the onions and bacon and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion is crunchy tender. Add flour and whisk until combined, let cook for another minute or two. Slowly whisk the milk into the butter/flour mixture, and cook over medium heat until thickened. Then add a cup of cheese and the can of cream of mushroom soup and stir to combine and the cheese is melted. Add a dash or two of  Salt and Pepper to taste.
Spray a square casserole dish (or any smaller casserole dish) with non-stick cooking spray, and add the potatoes, you can sprinkle these with a dash or two of salt and pepper as well. Then pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes, I lift some of the potatoes up here and there so the sauce can get under them. (You can put the sauce on the potatoes in the pot before you put in the casserole dish, I just found that my potatoes break up a bit that way)
Sprinkle more cheese on the top and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Serve and enjoy!! YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...