Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Honey Oatmeal Bread

I LOVE homemade bread and am always on the lookout for a new recipe. I buy Oat Bran Bread and get the Honey Oat bread at Subway, so when I ran across this recipe http://belleofthekitchen.blogspot.com/ I just had to try it out. It was awesome, I followed the recipe exactly how it was written. It was good warm from the oven with butter and jam on it, and then it was great toast the next day!! This time of year makes me crave homemade bread and freshly made jam....I guess it reminds me of my childhood days when my mom would make homemade bread and we would eat it as soon as it was cool enough to slice without smashing the whole loaf....YUMMO!

Honey Oatmeal Bread
Ingredients:
4-½ teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
½ cups Honey
4 Tablespoons Butter
2-¼ cups Water
1 Tablespoon Salt
2-¾ cups All-purpose Flour
4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Quick Cooking Oats
1 whole Egg

Preparation Instructions:
In a medium bowl (or in a saucepan), heat the butter and honey until the butter is melted. Remove from heat and add the water; the mixture should be warm (110-120 degrees). Stir in the yeast and let sit until bubbly, about 10 minutes (this is called making a sponge).
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine salt, yeast mixture, 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. With mixer on low, gradually blend liquid into dry ingredients until just blended. Increase the speed to medium, beat for two minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Gradually beat in the egg and one cup of whole wheat flour to make a thick batter. Continue beating for two minutes. Stir in oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. Knead till smooth and elastic. Use more flour if dough is too sticky (I usually add about 2/3 cup more).
Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; cover with the bowl and let rise for 15 minutes. Shape into two loaves and let rise for 1 hour in greased 9 x 5 loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 35 to 40 minutes.
I like to rub my loaves of bread with butter after they have been out of the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, this gives them a glossy look and doesn't taste bad either. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...