Thursday, February 2, 2012

Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

I have posted a recipe for Whoopie pies before but then I ran across this one!! EASY and Delicious!! Have you ever made cake mix cookies? These are made from a cake mix which makes the cookies moist and soft and well ...cakey... perfect for Whoopie Pies!! Whoopie Pies are like Moon pies (if you have ever heard of those) They are about the size of the palm of your hand and filled like a sandwich cookie... This recipe says to make big ones with 2 tablespoons of dough for each whoopie pie... I used a teaspoon, making mini moon pies I guess.... You can do either... and make them round. I shaped mine like footballs for a Super bowl party we had a work. YUM! I'm also warning you the peanut butter filling is addicting... I doubled the batch (which I posted!) because you can't have enough frosting in the middle if you ask me.. and that way there is a little left over to eat by itself. If you're like me I like the peanut butter in Reese's PB cups the best and this tastes a lot like that! See my note after the cookie recipe for instructions on how to get the football shape.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup canola or grape seed oil
3 eggs
1/4 cup water

Mix all four ingredients together and place on cookie sheet by two tablespoons sizes balls. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes or drop by smaller teaspoon size balls and bake 8-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you’d like them. I baked my for 9 minutes they were perfect for whoopie pies.

** for the football shaped whoopie pies, I made a quenelle, for a short video on how to do that go here, (I didn't get my spoons hot though, ) I used two teaspoons (not measuring spoons) and did a small quenelle and placed on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper... I baked for 9 minutes and voila! you have a football shape! After I filled them I did my football laces with a thick mixture of powdered sugar and water, about 1/2 cup sugar and then I added water a teaspoon full at a time until I got the right consistency, not too runny. Place in a baggy, snip the corner off and make your foot ball laces.

Peanut butter filling:
1 cup chunky peanut butter (creamy works too!)
6 tablespoons butter
4 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons milk

Beat peanut butter and butter together then add powdered sugar and milk and mix until creamy. Beat on medium high speed for a minute or two to fluff the frosting.
Fill a piping bag with a large round tip  and swirl the filling onto the bottom side of one cookie,then topping it off with another cookie... making a sandwich.
 This makes 12 large whoopie pies, I made mine smaller with just a teaspoon full of dough, and got about 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...