Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mocha Almond Fudge Cookies

Since it's February and the month is all about chocolate I thought I would post this recipe today. I made these cookies over the weekend...Sunday afternoons are when I usually crave something gooey and chocolaty. Maybe it's because I know I have to go back to work on Monday and need to spoil myself a little. This recipe is based  on the good old Chocolate Oatmeal cookie recipe I got from my mom, but I tweaked it a little. I love Mocha Almond Fudge Ice Cream, I just love that rich mocha chocolate flavor with a hint of Almond, so when I was trying to decide what cookie recipe to make, I thought  to myself 'Hey, why not experiment a little and see what you can come with?" I had some Starbuck's instant coffee packets in the cupboard (I use occasionally in cooking since I'm not a coffee drinker) and I thought that would help give my cookies the mocha flavor I was craving... Coffee really enhances the flavor of chocolate, but if you don't have coffee on hand, by all means you can still make these cookies just leave it out! I added toasted sliced almonds, almond flavoring, toffee chips, and Nestle's dark Chocolate chips and Viola..... YUMMALICIOUS!! I think I ate 5 right out of the oven!! Then I took the rest to work on Monday to share with the office.... mmmmm!

Mocha Almond Fudge Cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Dark cocoa powder (I used a Rich Dark Dutch Cocoa powder but if you don't have dark, use what you have)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 single serving packet Starbucks House Blend Instant Coffee (optional)
1 Tablespoon water (or 2 if your dough seems dry after you add the flour and oatmeal)
1 cup quick Quaker oats
1 cup Nestle's Dark Chocolate chips
1/2 cup  Heath Toffee Bits
1/2 cup toasted sliced Almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet by lining with Parchment paper, or spray with a non-stick cooking spray (I prefer parchment paper). Toast your Sliced Almonds on a separate cookie sheet by spreading in a thin layer and baking in the preheated 350 degree oven for about 5 to 7 minutes... watch closely! They burn quick! Let cool.
Sift together the flour, soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes) . Next add the egg and mix until combined. Then comes the vanilla extract, almond extract, coffee (if you are going to use it), and 1 Tablespoon water. (you can dissolve the coffee in the water if you like and then add to the cookie dough, I just tossed them in as is) Mix until all the flavoring's are incorporated.
Slowly add in the flour mixture to the butter mixture and continue mixing until the flour is incorporated, then stir in your oatmeal. (If your dough seems dry add another Tablespoon of water or milk) Now add the chocolate chips, toffee bits, and sliced almonds and stir with a spoon  to combine.
Drop by tablespoons full onto prepared cookie sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes!! (I found that baking for 8 minutes is about perfect, then let sit on cookie sheet for another minute) Let cool on cooling rack.... enjoy with a tall glass of milk and you'll think you've made it to heaven!! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...