Monday, February 13, 2012

Raisin-Date Oatmeal Crumble Bars

I watched the Pioneer Woman on the food network the other day, I love her show, I love her house! Especially her kitchen!!! But anyway, she made a version of  this recipe on her show. (go here for the original recipe) It looked yummy, but while I was watching it I thought that I would like to try it with a different filling, jam didn't sound good to me (that's just me though) I love Raisin filled cookies and thought that the filling from my cookie recipe would be good in these bars! Then, thinking of past recipes, my mom had made a date bar when I was young that I loved too, so I thought I would combine dates and raisins in the filling and add coarsely chopped pecans too! Remember though, you can use all raisins and no dates if you want. Oh my goodness these were divine... if you love raisin filled cookies you will love these... served warm with ice cream or whipped cream  and you will think you are in heaven... I did. Before I knew it I eaten a whole row! (you know how it is... you have to even off the edge of the pan..... ) Enjoy!

Raisin-Date Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Ingredients:
1-3/4 sticks salted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for greasing pan
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Raisin-Date filling (See recipe below)

Directions
Make your filling--(see recipe below or you could use jam)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch rectangular pan.
In a large mixer bowl, combine together the butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt, and mix with your mixer. Don't worry if this is a little dry, crumbly dough, that's how it's supposed to be. Press half the oat mixture into the prepared pan. Spread with the raisin-date filling. Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top and pat lightly. Bake until light brown, 25-30  minutes. Let cool completely, and then cut into squares.
This is how they look, lightly golden around the edges.... notice the row I about finished off by myself..Yikes!
Raisin-date filling
1 cup raisins
1 cup water
Grind in blender or food processor, keep it kind of chunky.
Add to saucepan with:
1 cup chopped dates (I used a whole package of chopped dates, they were coated with sugar)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (if your dates have sugar on them use 1/2 cup sugar,  if they don't have any added sugar use 3/4 cup granulated sugar when making your filling)
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped nuts (opt) I used coarsely chopped pecans
Cook over medium heat until thickened slightly (about 3 to 5 minutes) Set aside and let cool while you make your crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...