Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cheese and Chile-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

(sorry, I forgot to take a pic of my mushroom with the garnishes on the top)
Since January 2nd and the holidays were over, I decided to try to lose a little weight just by eating healthier and trying to incorporate a little exercise in my day. My hubby decided to join me, he likes to remove all carbs from his diet to do so, so this gives me a challenge when cooking. As for me, I started with Dr. Oz's 3-day Detox diet... LOVE it, if you can get through the first day, you can find his diet w/ recipes for smoothies here, I lost 6 pounds and felt great!! (Hint... don't put the celery and cucumbers in the lunch smoothie, makes too much and isn't very good, liked everything else in the smoothie and ate the cucumber and celery on it's own). Since I did that and felt great I didn't want to start with eating processed foods again. I still like to eat healthy carbs but find I'm better off eating those in the morning, good carbs that I eat in the evening seem to stick to my hips. But anyway, long story with all that, but I have enjoyed this month trying to find or create healthy recipes. So far this month I have kept my 6 pounds off that I lost those 3 days and lost 2 more!! This recipe was delicious, I love stuffed mushrooms and it was a great side to grilled steak, (or you could serve with grill chicken) rather than having something with creamy sauce or lots of butter (liked baked potatoes). My hubby LOVED it too! I loved using the wheat Germ instead of bread crumbs like some stuffed mushroom recipes call for, worked great. Oh, yes, I have to give credit where credit is due, this recipe was in this month's issue of Food Network Magazine. I did tweak a few things to what I had on hand, but the main idea was there. ENJOY!

Cheese and Chile-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Ingredients:
Olive oil cooking spray
4 medium portobello mushrooms
1 tablespoon butter
6 green onions, diced
1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley  (or 1 Tablespoon dried)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream or nonfat Greek yogurt
1 red or green jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and coarsely chop them. Scrape the gills from the underside of the mushroom caps using a spoon; discard those. Place the mushroom caps on your prepared baking sheet.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, half of the green onions, the poblano chile and garlic and cook, stirring, until the poblano is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the mushroom stems and parsley; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup wheat germ and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat; and season with salt and pepper.

Stuff the mushroom caps with one-quarter of the mozzarella, then one -quarter of the poblano mixture. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon wheat germ and generously spray with cooking spray. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the wheat germ is golden, about 20 minutes. Top with the sour cream, jalapeno and the remaining scallions.

Per serving: Calories 261; Total Fat 15 grams; Saturated Fat 8 grams; Protein 17 grams; Total Carbohydrate 17 grams; Fiber 6 grams; Cholesterol 32 milligrams; Sodium 265 milligrams

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...