Monday, January 7, 2013

My version of "Lo Mein"

I love 'Lo Mien" probably because I think it's less fattening than other chow miens. I have a tradition in my family that we always have a Chinese New year dinner with fortune cookies for dessert just for fun. But usually when we get take out or go to a Chinese restaurant, the food tastes good right at first but it's not that great left over, and I always feel a little sick? or bloated after eating it. The last couple of years I have opted to make our Chinese dinner, and I usually buy the fortune cookies, La Choy makes a good one. It's fun to see what fortune you get in them (this year mine said I would be in a new house by the end of the year.. hmmm perhaps with a bigger kitchen!)  I made this recipe for 'Lo Mien" to go  along with Sweet n' Sour Chicken (or I should call it Manderine Chicken) Mongolian Beef, and rice. We had fortune Cookies with Vanilla Ice cream for dessert. YUMMO!

My version of  "Lo Mien"
Ingredients:
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or 2 if you like it a little sweeter)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
ground black pepper, to taste

2-3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2/3 c. chopped celery (chopped diagonally)
1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, thinly sliced diagonally
2 cups sugar snap peas
1 to 2 cups broccoli florets (Or you could use a bag of frozen stir fry veggies)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 or 2 packages Chuka Soba Chow Mien Stir-Fry Noodles (depending on how much you want, for my family of 3, I used 1 package)
Instructions
■In a small bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and black pepper. Set aside.
■Cook noodles according to package directions. Rinse noodles well, drain, and set aside.
■Heat oil in a large wok or skillet. Add celery, carrot and onion and saute for about 1-2 minutes or until onions start to become soft and transparent. Add Peas and Broccoli; saute an additional minute or two until veggies are tender crunchy. Add sesame oil to taste (go with 1/2 teaspoon at first, sesame oil is a little strong, but I LOVE the flavor in noodle stir fries) and toss veggies until veggies and sesame oil are combined.
■Toss Chuka Soba noodles and soy sauce mixture with the vegetables over medium-high heat for an additional 2-3 minutes or until noodles are heated through.
Enjoy!
**You could add some chopped Napa Cabbage if desired as well when sauteing the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...