Sunday, November 6, 2011

Frosted Banana Bars

I got this recipe from a friend I work with. She brought them in for a treat one day to the office, they are YUMMO and I just had to get the recipe! It seems I always have over ripe banana's on hand.. I only like to eat them when they are still slightly green... after that they sit on my cupboard until they are way over ripe and I throw them away or until I make banana bread. This recipe was close to my banana bread recipe, they both have cinnamon, sour cream, and 3 banana's in them, but this was just a little more 'cakey'. My friend's recipe used chocolate chips and just regular cream cheese frosting and butter extract instead of banana extract (I only had banana extract on hand, and I put that in my banana bread for a bit stronger banana flavor), but I tweaked it a bit and put cinnamon chips in it and cinnamon in the frosting... gave it a little more of a 'holiday' flavor or Autumn flavor to me... I just LOVE cinnamon chips..... but of course if you want more of that yummy banana and chocolate flavor just put chocolate chips in the batter and leave out the cinnamon from the frosting!!  Enjoy!

Frosted Banana Bars
1 stick butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
a few drops banana extract
1-1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Cream butter and sugar, then beat in eggs, vanilla, banana extract and bananas. Add sour cream and stir until combined. In another small bowl, combine flour, soda, cinnamon and salt, then add to creamed mixture and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. Stir in the chips. Pour into your prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool, then frost with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. Cut into 2 x 4 inch bars, serve and enjoy!!

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whip your butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together for a minute until the lumps are gone and smooth. Then add cinnamon and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until all combined. (if you add it all at once your apt to get the kitchen cupboards covered in powder! mix slowly)
When powdered sugar is all incorporated I like to whip my frostings for a couple of minutes on a medium/high speed. This gives you a fluffy frosting.
This recipe made more than enough frosting for me.... I had about 3/4 cup leftover, but ice your cake as thick as you like! YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...