Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Southwestern Turkey Soup

I received this recipe from Allrecipes.com in an e-mail as the recipe of the day. What more appropriate recipe for the day since there was lots of leftover Turkey in my refrigerator, especially two turkey legs and wings that I hadn't cut off the bone yet. I thought I would give this recipe a shot for dinner yesterday but of course I tweaked it a bit, and it turned out Yummo! And it didn't really taste like turkey... just ask my dad who doesn't care for left over turkey at all, and I didn't tell him that's what it was until after he had eaten a bowl of soup. I wish I had a picture of his face when he found out!! Anyway, you can use chopped up leftover turkey, but I also used the legs and wings that I had put in my crock pot before going to work along with 2 cups of chicken broth. I cooked it all day long on low and when I got home the meat just fell right off the bone! I also used the rest of my sliced up turkey breasts and thighs. I added a few things to the original recipe, but you can go here for the original recipe if you like. This was a yummo soup for a chilly winter evening!

Southwestern Turkey Soup
Ingredients:
1- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chopped or shredded cooked turkey
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (14 ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 heaping tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro (remember the chopped stuff in the tubes you can get in the produce department, that's what I used but you can use 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro if that's what you have)
1/2 cup masa flour dissolved in 1 cup cold water (this is optional, I used it to thicken my soup a bit)

Garnishes:
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Corn chips or fritos
Sour Cream

Directions:
1. Heat 1 or 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil in in a large pot over medium heat, add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes, than add the minced garlic and saute for another minute or two. Then add the turkey, broth, tomatoes, green chiles, black beans, corn, and lime juice. Season with cayenne, cumin, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Whisk in  the masa flour that's been stirred with the water into the soup along with the cilantro, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more, until slightly thickened. Spoon into serving bowls, and top with shredded cheese, a dollop of Sour Cream, and crushed tortilla chips or fritos.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...