Monday, January 30, 2012

Mexican Chocolate Brownies

I love chocolate..... expecially in a gooey brownie. I have been in a Mexican mood lately, I even made Tamales over the weekend... so when I ran across this recipe here  I just had to give it a try. After all, who doesn't like Mexican chocolate... it's chocolate with a kick! I tweaked the recipe a little.. it was very similar to my Saucepan brownie recipe, and I love how easy those are and the fact that you only dirty one pan, so that is where my tweaking came in to play, I put them together like that recipe. Just a warning though, these don't taste 'hot' at first, they get you on the second bite in the back of your throat. And they get spicier the longer they sit...so the next day you might want to warm one up in the microwave and put a scoop of vanilla icecream with a drizzle of chocolate sauce on the top to help with the spice... Can you say YUMMO???!!

Mexican Chocolate Brownies
1/2 cup butter
2-oz bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped ( I used 1-1oz square unsweetened and 1 -1oz square semi-     sweet, because that is what I had on hand)
2 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper (if you like ALOT of spice go for a heaping 1/4 teaspoon ful)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate semi-sweet chocolate Chunks

Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 or 9×9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or spray with a non-stick cooking spray. (I prefer parchment paper... easy clean up!)
In a medium size saucepan,  melt butter and chocolate together. Stir with a whisk until very smooth. Stir in cocoa powder and whisk again until fully incorporated. Set aside to cool slightly.
Next whisk the sugar into the chocolate mixture. Then add your eggs one at a time whisking rapidly after each one (so they don't scramble, you could temper the eggs with a little of the chocolate mixture, but I find whisking fast right after adding each of the eggs works) Next add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. In another bowl sift flour, ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, chili powder and salt together, then add to the chocolate mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until brownies set and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan comes out with only a few moist crumbs, not batter, attached.
Cool in the pan completely before slicing. OR do like I do and eat one while still warm... who can resist a warm brownie.....
Makes 24 brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...