Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Carrot Cake Scones

I love scones... whether they be the fried bread kind of scones or the biscuit kind of scones! Love 'em! And I love Carrot Cake... YUM! So when I saw this recipe here I knew I just had to give them a try. I made them for Easter Breakfast last Sunday. Of course I tweaked the recipe just a bit, and I think the next time I make them I will add maybe 1/4 cup more flour or so, they were really gooey even when flouring the counter generously before I kneaded the dough. I also think I will make them smaller by cutting the triangles in half. Mine turned out huge! but delicious. I added cinnamon to the icing, and glazed the top of mine while warm. Then I colored most of the rest of the icing orange and a small amount green to zigzag over the top so they looked like a carrot. Sorry to say that wasn't my idea, I got it from the lady that writes that other blog. OH, and instead of nuts I used cinnamon chips! Love the extra flavor they give the scones, I just didn't feel like a nut that day. Also, I don't grate my carrots, I mince them in my food processor, they seem to cook better that way, at least to me. Sometimes grated carrot is rather chewy in a cake or muffin, so I always mince them, but that's just me. Do what you like to do best. But make these and eat while warm with some fresh fruit for a breakfast or brunch... yum-a-licious!!

Carrot Cake Scones
Ingredients:
◦2 cups flour (+ 1/4 cup if dough is really sticky)
◦1/2 cup brown sugar
◦3 teaspoons baking powder
◦1 teaspoon salt
◦2 teaspoons cinnamon
◦1/2cup (cold) butter (that's 1 stick)
◦1/2 cup whole milk
◦2 teaspoon vanilla extract
◦2 eggs
◦1 cup grated (or minced) carrots ( about 3 medium carrots)
◦3/4  cup cinnamon chips

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, Vanilla extract, eggs, and carrots; mix until blended, then stir in the cinnamon chips.
Generously flour your counter top, then dump the scone dough onto it. Knead  a few times, then pat out into a long rectangle that is about 3/4 inch thick (or a little less) and about 16x4 inches. Cut in half then in half again (you should have 4 squares) then cut  each square in half diagonally, so you have 8 triangles. Or you can cut into any desired shape you like or use a cookie cutter.
Bake at 375 for 10-12  minutes or until they are slightly golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven.
I like to glaze mine while still warm by spooning a teaspoon of the icing over each scone and spreading around with the bottom of the spoon or you could use a pastry brush. Let cool. Then color 3/4 of the icing orange and the rest green. Place into a decorator bag or plastic bag with the corner snipped off, and drizzle on your scones so they look like a carrot.

Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
food coloring (orange, green) if you want to decorate them like carrots.

Mix all ingredients together in a medium size bowl until smooth and pipe or drizzle on cooled scones

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...