Monday, July 9, 2012

Coconut Cake with Coconut Lemon Glaze

I was watching Food Network a couple of Saturday's ago, which is my favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning while I relax in bed --while it's still cool outside. I watched Trisha Yearwood's new show, she does cooking like I like to do. This is her recipe that she got from her Grandma Yearwood. I LOVE coconut... and lemon and I wasn't disappointed in this recipe. I made half the glaze that she had the recipe for, I've posted what I did and it was plenty to coat the outside of the cake. Also, I don't have a Tube cake pan so I used two loaf pans and it turned out great! For the original recipe click here. I also used half toasted coconut and half baker's sweetened coconut in the cake, love toasted coconut! Just follow the directions on the package for how to toast! YUM! ...sorry for the blurry picture... I think I need a new camera. Sometimes I get blurry pictures... and I don't think it's because I have frosting on the lense. :)
Coconut Cake with Coconut Lemon Glaze
Adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood\
12 servings.

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing
Flour, for dusting pan
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
One 12-ounce box vanilla wafers, finely crushed (this is used instead of flour!!)
One 6-ounce package grated coconut, (you can toast this if desired, I used half toasted)
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Coconut Lemon Glaze:
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Pinch of salt
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
fresh lemon juice from 1 large lemon
1 heaping cup grated coconut
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
For the cake: Grease and flour a 9-inch tube cake pan (or 2 loaf pans) Cream the butter and sugar until light and smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating well. Mix in the vanilla wafer crumbs, coconut and pecans. Pour into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes to an hour or until golden in color and a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted in the center of cake. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.

For the glaze: Mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest and juice, 3/4 cup of water and coconut in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened, for about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, then using a toothpick, poke several holes in the top of the cake and drizzle the glaze over the cake.
Gooey but YUMMY! Enjoy!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...