Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Version of Alice Springs Chicken

Goodness time goes fast, especially when you're busy. I've been busy since the 4th of July it seems, I made a pulled pork dinner for our big 4th of July bash and breakfast the next morning, I made a cake for my friend at work, took a quick trip to Salt Lake City to help my daughter get residency and sign up for school at UVU, and just this last week I have helped my son move back home from BYU-Idaho. It took me 2 trips since he seemed to have slowly taken the whole house up with him! Plus, you don't ever want to volunteer to help an apartment of boys with their clean check.... especially the kitchen. UGH! But being the mother that I am that's what I did. I also have a regular job that I work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday, and try to keep my own yard and house clean on the weekends. Anyway, I haven't had much time to post recipes, and it has been quite hot to cook in the house anyway, but I wanted to post this recipe. I made this over the 4th of July week that my mother-in-law came to visit. It turned out delicious! I got the original recipe out of one of my Top Secret Recipe cookbooks, but I tweaked it a bit like I usually like to do with recipes. I grilled it too since the heat in the house was about 100 degrees, so we cooked and ate outside. It was a lovely evening. Enjoy!

My Version of Alice Springs Chicken

Honey Mustard Marinade:
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (Note--if yours are really thick like mine were butterfly them through so you end up with 2 breasts that are thinner instead of one really big, thick one, I used 3 breasts that were butterflied all the way through)
2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 12 mushrooms)
2 Tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
8 slices of cooked bacon (I like to cook mine in the oven on a baking sheet lined with foil, takes about 15 to 20 minutes on 350) you want about 2 slices per chicken breast.
4 slices of Monterrey Jack cheese (or1 slice per chicken breast)
4 slices of Cheddar cheese ( or1 slice per chicken breast)

In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey, vegetable oil, and the lemon juice until it's well blended.

Place your chicken breasts in a gallon size Ziploc baggie, pour about 2/3's of the marinade in with the chicken, zip up the bag and mush it around until the chicken is well coated. Let marinade for about 2 hours. Chill the rest of the marinade in a covered dish to use for dipping later.

When you're almost ready to cook your chicken after it's been marinating for a bit, cook your bacon however you desire. While that's cooking, melt the 2 Tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook and stir until they are cooked and almost caramelized in the butter. I also season these with a little salt and pepper.

Heat grill to medium heat. When grill is hot, place your chicken breasts on the grill. I gave mine a good sprinkle of salt and pepper after I got them on the grill. Let cook on this side for about 7 minutes. Turn and cook this side for 6 or 7 minutes until done.
Remove chicken from the grill and place onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Stack 1-1/2 to 2 pieces of cooked bacon on each chicken breast. Now spoon on the mushrooms dividing them so that each chicken breast gets an equal amount. Then place a slice of each kind of cheese on each chicken breast. Place under broiler in your oven for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is melty and gooey.
Serve with  the remaining marinade for dipping and your choice of sides! I think I served mine with steamed broccoli and a crispy salad. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...