Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pork Tacos

I found this recipe here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/ but I"m re-posting here as I re-vamped it a little to our taste, and I did mine in the crockpot. You know me, I always am up for a new way to do tacos, So I had to give this recipe a try! It was yummy but next time think I will sprinkle a dash or two of ground chipotle pepper on the shredded meat, I thought it needed to be just a bit spicier. But it was way tender and kind of had a sweet spicy flavor from the Dr. Pepper and the chipotles. We topped our tacos with cheese, and shredded cabbage and salsa. Yummo!!

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pork Tacos
1 whole Large Onion
1 whole Pork Shoulder ("pork Butt") - 5 To 7 Pounds
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 small can Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
1 can Dr. Pepper
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

Flour or Corn Tortilla
Toppings: shredded lettuce or coleslaw mix,  diced tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, salsa, and whatever else you’d like.
Preparation Instructions:
Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a a crock pot.
Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the crockpot.
Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in the can of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.
Place lid tightly on crock pot, Cook on high for about 3 hours, then turn roast over, and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours more. (I cooked mine while I was at work and turned the roast over on my lunch break and turned down the crock pot to low). Cook for at least 6 to 8  hours, turning roast two or three times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be absolutely falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, let cook for another hour or so.
Remove meat from crock-pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Strain the onions out of the liquid as well. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it’s cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.) I only used about a cup of my cooking liquid with the meat.
Serve on warm flour or corn tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce or coleslaw mix,  diced tomatoes, grated cheese, avocado slices, salsa, and whatever else you’d like.Yummo!! I served mine with mexican rice and black beans. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. How cool Diane about your blog! Nice idea!! This recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...