Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shrimp Chiles Rellenos

                                                                               
I LOVE Chiles Rellenos! Usually these are stuffed with just cheese and dipped in an egg batter and then deep fried. I first ate them when we lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the state fair that was in Albuquerque, those were the best I've ever had!! They were deep fried but crispy with a yummo sauce on them. I have tried to find some like those ever since we moved back to Idaho but so far they haven't been like those. The ones I  have had here are good, they just are softer on the outside. Jim's Mom has shown me how to make them too, and those were good, but not crispy. I was watching T.V. on Saturday Morning and Rick Bayless' show 'Mexico, One plate at a Time' was on. He made this recipe and they looked yummy and a bit more healthy than the deep fried ones I've seen so I thought I would give them a try. I followed his recipe pretty close, but added the black beans and corn to the filling. And I marinated my shrimp for more flavor.  I tried both the Anaheim Chiles and the fresh Poblano Chiles, we liked them both, but I think I liked the Poblanos best. They were bigger and some of the Anaheim chiles were quite spicy. Just a warning, these a take a while to make because you have to roast and peel the chiles, but I didn't mind... I like experimenting in the kitchen. So make these when you have a bit of time and feel like trying something different. YUM!
Also.. If you don't want to take the time to wrap these in cornhusks... you could bake them on a greased cookie sheet at 350 for about 10 minutes or until the filling is hot and bubbly.

Shrimp Chiles Rellenos
Ingredients:
An 8-ounce package dried corn husks
12 medium (about 1 1/2 pounds total) fresh Anaheim chiles or fresh Poblano Peppers ( I used 8 Anaheim and 4 Poblano because I wanted to try both kinds)
1 medium onion, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
A little vegetable oil
Salt
1 pound raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
Grill Mates Baja Citris Marinade packet, (mix according to directions on packet)
1/2 (14 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 (14 oz ) can corn, drained
12 ounces shredded Mexican melting cheese (Chihuahua, quesillo, asadero or the like) or Monterey Jack, brick or mild cheddar, shredded (you’ll have about 3 cups)
1/4 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
Dash or two salt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:
1. Soak the corn husks. Fill your sink with hot water and add your corn husks to it, if they float, I put a cake pan that I've filled with water on top of them. Let soak for a good hour.
2. Roast the chiles, you can do this in the broiler, but I prefer to roast mine on my grill, either gas or charcoal will work, just get the grill hot. Lay the chiles on the grill and turn until blackened and blistered, about 4 minutes per side. Place in a large bowl and cover with a lid or piece of saran wrap, you want these to steam a little so the skin is easy to peel off.
Meanwhile, brush both sides of the onion slices with a little oil, sprinkle with salt, then lay in a single layer on the grill. Grill, turning at least once, until richly browned and soft, about 7 minutes. Scoop onto a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
Marinade your shrimp in the Baja Citris Marinade for about 15 minutes. (Mine marinades while I peel my chilles)
When the chiles are cool enough to handle, peel off the blistered skin. Make a slit in the side of each chile and use your finger to scrape out the seeds. Rinse briefly to remove any stray seeds or bits of skin. Dry with paper towels.
Saute the shrimp in a large frying pan for about 5 to 6 minutes or until they turn pink and start to curl. Remove from pan, and chop into about 1/4 inch pieces.
In a large bowl, mix together the chopped shrimp, shredded cheese, chopped grilled onion, black beans, corn, oregano, black pepper and salt.
 Spoon your filling into the peppers until full but you can still almost close them up again.









3. Grill and serve--Preheat your grill again. Choose 12 larger corn husks. Lay six on your counter top and dry with a towel. Lay the Anaheim chili's  in pairs lengthwise on the corn husks and roll up., or if you use Poblano peppers, do just one in each corn husk. Lay out 6 more corn husks. Lay each “chile relleno roll” on another corn husk, tapered end pointing the opposite direction. and roll up, Tear  1/4-inch strips from the remaining corn husks and use them to tie around the ends of each roll. Lay the rolls on the grill. Grill them for 10 to 12 minutes, turning them regularly, until the corn husks are slightly charred, the cheese has melted and the shrimp are warm.

Slide them onto plates, cut off the ties, pry back the husk and serve! (I slid mine out of the husks completely to serve)
I served mine with a side salad and spicy dilly beans and carrots. But you could serve these with a steamed veggie and Mexican rice if desired.
Enjoy

The top pic at the beginning of the recipe is the Aneheim Chile and the one at the bottom is the Poblano Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...