Saturday, July 9, 2011

Smoky Salsa Frittata

Goodness so far all summer it seems I"ve just been eating BBQ and salads and desserts!! I've decided that for 30 days I will go on a health kick and eat better and exercise... I've been feeling like a slug. So for the next month I will be in search of healthier recipes with less fat and sauces, I will post the good ones I find, and hope you enjoy them as well. I have posted a couple of different Frittata recipes on here... but I made up a pretty good one this morning for breakfast. I LOVE chili's and mushrooms, and I also added onions and tomato's so I decidedthat that's everything you put in salsa just about, so that's where I got the name for it. I LOVE the subtle smoky flavor of smoky gouda cheese and thought I'd add a little of that in this. Serve with fresh fruit and you have a Yummo healthy breakfast! Enjoy!

Smoky Salsa Frittata
1/2 of a serrano pepper, seeded and minced
2 Tablespoons minced onion
2 Tablespoons minced green bell pepper
2 Tablespoons canned green chili's
1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms (or a handful or two of fresh if you have them)
1/2 of a large tomato, diced
3 eggs
1/2 to 3/4 cup Egg beaters egg product
dash or two Frank's hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup or more grated smoky gouda cheese (or pepper jack would be good too, use whatever you like)
Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large oven-safe skillet heat about a Tablespoon or a little more of Olive Oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and serrano pepper and saute over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes until the onion starts to turn transluscent. Next, add your mushrooms and green chili's and saute for 2 more minutes (approximately). Then add your tomato and cook a minute more so it gets heated through.
While your veggies are cooking, whisk together the egg and egg beaters in a medium size bowl. Add your dash of hot sauce and salt and pepper (I always do a couple of shakes of pepper and about 4 or 5 shakes of salt, I never measure it!) Whisk a little more until the eggs are frothy. Add about 1/4 cup of your grated cheese and stir to combine.
Next pour your egg mixture over your veggies and stir and let sit a minute, then stir again, and smooth out so it's kind of flat. Turn your stove heat off, and sprinkle the rest of your cheese over the top.

Now pop in your preheated oven for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the egg is bubbly and not runny, and your cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and cut into 3 or 4 large pieces (like a pie) and serve with fresh fruit! YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...