Saturday, October 29, 2011

Easy Ravioli--made with won ton wrappers!!

I LOVE Ravioli.... my favorite thing at Olive Garden these days is the Portabella stuffed raviolis.... but I've always been intimidated about making my own ravioli... until now. I tried once, when I was first married, to make a romantic dinner for my hubby. I knew Italian food is always romantic so I thought I would make spinach and ricotta cheese stuffed ravioli... to make a long story short, mine ballooned up and filled with water and they were huge(looked a bit like Rocky Mountain oysters, if you know what those are... hahaha)! So when I ran across this recipe on the Pioneer woman and saw that even she used won ton wrappers (who knew you could use won ton wrappers for ravioli???) instead of making her own pasta dough, I thought to myself.. YES!! I can do that!!! So here is my recipe. You can go to The Pioneer woman's recipe blog and look up her recipe for the filling, but I made my own up here. I tried to imitate the portabella stuffed ravioli like Olive Garden. I used my Alfredo sauce recipe, but added some sun dried tomatoes to the butter and garlic before adding the cream. You can do any kind of filling you want, ricotta with spinach is always good, and you can use any sauce you desire too whether it be regular Alfredo or a marinara sauce!! YUMMO! My picture doesn't do the ravioli's justice... they almost tasted like..... butter??? (as Paula Dean would say) they were so rich and delicious!! YUMMO!!

Easy Portabella and Ricotta Cheese Stuffed Ravioli
for filling:
1 small carton Ricotta cheese
1/2  cup, heaping, grated Parmesan Cheese
1egg
1/2 heaping teaspoon dried basil l (or a italitan seasoning)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 large portabella mushroom caps (they are big meaty mushrooms, I used the prepackaged, sliced ones I found at walmart)

24 whole wonton wrappers
1 egg
Sundried Tomato Alfredo Sauce (see recipe below)
 Olive Oil

In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta, grated Parmesan, 1 egg, basil, and salt and pepper to taste ( I added about 1/2 teaspoon salt and a 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper to start, add more if desired) Set this aside.
Wash the portabella mushrooms and slice in about 1/2 inch thick slices (if not already sliced)
In a medium skillet, drizzle about 2 Tablespoons Olive oil, when oil is hot, place your mushrooms in the skillet and saute 2--3 minutes per side until mushrooms are cooked through.
Remove from pan and let cool a minute or two. When cool enough to handle, dice them up. Add the diced mushrooms to the ricotta cheese mixture and stir to combine.
Set this mixture aside and get your Alfredo sauce started.
When ready to assemble your ravioli, set a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil.
Combine the other egg in a small bowl with about 3 Tablespoons of water, and whisk until slightly fluffy.
Now, on a cutting board, lay one wonton wrapper on the surface. Set a small amount (about 1 teaspoon full)of your ricotta/mushroom filling in the center of the wrapper.
Dip a pastry brush into your egg/water mixture and brush around about 1/2 inch strip along all four sides of the wrapper. Place a second wonton wrapper on top, then working from the middle first, carefully press out air bubbles as you carefully press the top wrapper around the base of the filling, then work your way out to the edges, lining the corners up and pressing slightly together to seal. Set aside, and repeat with remaining filling and wonton wrappers.
Once the ravioli are assembled, drop them four or five at a time into the boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. I set mine on a cookie sheet that I had sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, and as I added more ravioli, I slightly sprayed each ravioli before adding more so they wouldn't stick together, or you could drizzle lightly with olive oil. (I kept these warm in a slightly warm oven while I cooked the rest of the ravioli)
Serve about 4 or 5 per person and spoon Alfredo sauce over the top. I served mined with grilled chicken and sauteed zucchini, but it would go nicely with a green salad and crispy french bread too! ENJOY!

Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo Sauce
6 Tablespoons butter
1 whole garlic bulb, roasted (or 1 heaping Tablespoon minced garlic)
2 Tablespoons sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil (optional)
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for Garnishing

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic paste (or minced garlic) and the sundried tomatos to the butter and cook for about 1 minute or until slightly browned. Then whisk in the cream, keep the heat at about medium to medium-low, and bring this to barely a simmer (if this boils too hard, the cream and the butter separate and look curdled) Once its at a low simmer add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese. Bring mixture back to a low simmer and continue to cook another 5 to 8 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring often. ( Remember, don't simmer at too high of heat or it will separate)

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...