Sunday, October 2, 2011

Jamaican BBQ Chicken Pizza

I know, I know, I've posted tons of Pizza Dough recipes and said they were the best.... but throw those away and use this one. My last favorite Pizza Dough recipe turned out great the first couple of times I made it, but tough and hard to cut with a fork the last time I made it, not sure what I did different. When Jim and I went to Disneyland, we ate at the California Pizza Kitchen and got the BBQ Chicken pizza, Delish! And the crust was on the thin side, but not breakable like a cracker, and I think that's what I found with this recipe.... at least when I made it. This recipe takes a little planning ahead but it's easy, the dough needs to be made the night before you use it so it can sit in the refrigerator over night. I also used Tyson diced grilled chicken (Easy!) and cooked my bacon  and my Jamaican BBQ sauce (or you can use your favorite bottled BBQ sauce) in the morning while I was puttering around my kitchen, then when you go to make your pizza everything is ready and it's quick!! Also, REMEMBER to get your dough out of the refrigerator at least 2 hours before you are going to use it! It needs to warm up so you can roll it out! YUMMO! I think this turned out pretty close to the California Pizza Kitchen's Pizza....

Di's BBQ Chicken Pizza
This recipe makes 2 (10-inch) pizzas
for the pizza dough:
3/4 cup luke-warm water (about 110 degrees)
1-1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1- 3/4 cups bread flour (this is the difference between a tender and hard crust)
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil

To make the pizza dough, place the 3/4 cup warm water in a small bowl, add the yeast and granulated sugar and whisk to combine. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until it's bubbly on top, that way you know the yeast is working.
While your yeast is dissolving, combine the flour and salt in another large mixing bowl. Make an indention in the flour (like a little bowl shape) and pour the yeast mixture  and oil into it. Stir the yeast mixture into the flour, gradually grabbing more flour into it until you can form a ball with your hands. Then on a lightly floured surface, kneead the dough by hand for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until you get a nice smooth, elasitic texture.
Coat a medium size mixing bowl with olive oil, and roll the ball of dough around in it so the dough is covered in olive oil. Cover the bowl, and let sit in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours or until double in size. Punch the dough down, and cover again and let sit overnight in the refrigerator. (I put mine in a Tupperware container with a lid.

Jamaican BBQ sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground all spice

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, whisk to combine. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer and let cook for about 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then puree in a blender for a few seconds until smooth. Then put in a covered dish and store in the refrigerator until ready to make your pizza.

Pizza toppings
1 package Tyson diced grilled chicken, thawed
6 slices smokey peppered bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 medium size onion, diced
2 -1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (or more if you like more cheese

When ready to assemble your pizza, preheat your oven and your pizza stone to 500 degrees.
Divide the dough in half. Roll one piece into a 10-inch circle. (If you have a pizza peel, generously flour that and assemble your pizza on the pizza peel, then let it slide onto the pizza stone, I assemble mine right onto the hot pizza stone but you have to be quick and careful)
I brush on about a Tablespoon or more of olive oil onto the pizza dough, especially around the edges. Then spoon on half of the BBQ sauce (about 1/2 cup) spreading around so the pizza is mostly covered. Next comes 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese, then I sprinkle on about 1 cup of the diced chicken (or more if desired), 1/2 of the bacon slices, and 1/2 of the diced onion. Then I sprinkle about 1/4 cup more of the Mozzarella cheese on the very top. Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the crust is starting to turn golden brown and the cheese is melty.
Remove from oven and assemble your 2nd pizza.
Slice each pizza into 6 or 8 slices, serve with a salad and ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...