Thursday, June 28, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes


I love twice baked potatoes... I remember sleepovers at my older sister's house when I was young and she would make these for us ---so good! I think they pair well with any type of meat. When I made these I grilled steaks to go with them, after all it was Father's day. One of my favorite appetiser's are Potatoe Skins, I love the bacon, cheese, and sour cream that usually tops them, so that is what I tried to create here... that same yummy flavor! After all, is there anything that isn't good with bacon in it??? Enjoy!

Twice Baked Potatoes
4 medium to large baking potatoes, washed
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/4 to 1/2 cup warm milk
1 cup grated Cheese, plus more for garnishing
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup cooked Bacon, chopped into small pieces (or you can use REAL bacon bits if you have them)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and bake your potatoes for about an hour (the time depends on the size of the potatoes, you want them fork tender).
Remove the potatoes from the oven and wait 15 to 20 minutes so they cool enough to handle.
Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half lenthwise....
Then, scoop out the inside with a spoon. Leave just under a 1/4 inch thickness of potatoe on the peel, this makes the shell you will spoon the potatoe filling back into later. Place the potatoe you scoop out into a large mixing bowl....
                                               and the skins on a cookie sheet.
Add the butter, sour cream and salt and pepper (I use about 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to start) to the scooped out potatoe in the bowl; mash with a potatoe masher. Add the warm milk (start with about a 1/4 cup of milk and add more as needed... you don't want soupy potatoes) then mix with your electric hand mixer until creamy but still thick. Stir in the bacon and grated cheese. Taste at this point and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Scoop the filling back into the peel and place back on the cookie sheet, when all of the filling is divided into your peels,garnish the top of each with another sprinkling of grated cheese. Place cookie sheet back in the 350 degree oven, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese is melting and the potatoes are slightly puffed. Serve on the side of your favorite grilled meat and steamed veggies! YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...