Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mac and cheese!

Mac and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. My mom used to make this. She'd bake it in the oven with extra cheese on top, sometimes I do that. But we eat it right out of the pot while it's still gooey! Way better than the boxed kind if you ask me!

Mac and Cheese

2  cups uncooked elbow macaroni**
Bring 4 cups water to a boil, add 1 teaspoon salt and cook about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
While macaroni cooks make cheese sauce :
Melt 1/4  cup butter in medium sauce pan.
Then add 1/4 cup flour, Whisk to blend in flour and let cook on medium heat a minute or two. Then add 2 cups milk, whisk while adding, and keep stirring while cooking. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Turn off heat and add 2 cups grated cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Here's where the kids and I like to eat it! yumm!!
or you can pour into a casserole dish and top with more grated cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melty.

**You can use any kind of pasta, I've used shells, and curly macaroni. The cheese sauce is also good on broccoli and cauliflower, scalloped potatoes, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...