Saturday, July 31, 2010

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

mmmmmm I love Enchiladas... I didn't quite know how to make them when I first got married. This is how I learned to make them from Jim's mom. I've learned to make quite a few mexican dishes from her. These are pretty easy, and yummo! For this recipe remember to cook the roast ahead of time in a crock pot, or you can use ground beef instead of a roast! I used canned Enchilada sauce, could make home made, but canned is good and easier!

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

 2 pound (aprox) beef roast
1/2 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Cumin and Chili poweder (or taco seasoning)
Cheese, sliced into about 12-1/4 inch thick strips, and 1 cup grated
olives, sliced
Corn tortillas
1 medium can Enchilada sauce(I use Las Palmas, or Rosarita is good, and Old el paso)

I cook my roast in the crockpot on low, all day while I'm at work.  I put about 1/2 cup beef broth in with it and sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
Remove roast from crockpot and shred with two forks. (or cook ground beef and onions together and  season with taco seasoning)
Heat a couple Tablespoons olive oil in skillet, and saute onions for a couple of minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and saute a minute more. Add shredded beef, and toss. I season with about 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and 1 teaspoon chili powder and salt and pepper. Meanwhile heat enchilada sauce in another smaller skillet. I put a spoonful or two on the beef as well, and toss to coat. Set beef aside.
Have a casserole dish ready and sprayed with pam. Place 1 or two tortillas in enchilada sauce and let heat a minute so the tortilla is pliable. Remove toritilla from sauce and place in casserole dish. Place a couple of spoonfuls of beef down the middle of tortilla, place a strip of cheese and a few sliced olives....

Then roll up. And repeat until you've used up the beef. Drizzle remaining enchilada sauce over the top of your enchiladas. ( usually theres about 1 cup left, but if there is a lot of sauce leftover, freeze some of it till next time, don't drown your enchiladas) Sprinkle the one cup grated cheese over the top, and then sprinkle the rest of the olives across them.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream for toppings. I make mexican rice and refried beans for on the side sometimes.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...