Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fish Tacos!!

Okay, I know I've said it before, but I love tacos!! I finally made a Yummo Fish taco so I thought I'd share!!! These turned out so good and the fish doesn't take long to make. I use my Cilantro Coleslaw and Mango Pineapple Salsa with these, see my earlier posts. These are good on both corn or snack size flour tortilla's, I did both because my family likes both. Enjoy!!

Fish Tacos

8 Talapia fillets, thawed (I used frozen Talapia cuz it's hard to get good fresh fish here in Idaho, unless you go fishing, but any firm fish will work) 1 fillet made about 2 tacos, so use more or less according to how many you need
Cajun Spice Mix (see my recipe below, or use your favorite cajun seasoning)
Corn or Flour Tortilla's
Mango Pineapple Salsa
Cilantro Coleslaw
Vegetable oil for frying fish and Tortilla's

Heat about 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a heavy skillet. While oil is heating lightly sprinkle cajun seasoning on both sides of each fish fillet. When oil is hot place 3 or 4 fillets in skillet and brown. Takes about 4 minutes. Flip and brown other side, about another 3 or 4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish. You just want your fish to be flaky. Remove from skillet and place on cookies sheet while cooking the rest of your fish.

While fish is cooking, Heat another heavy skillet, Then I drizzle about 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and brush around the bottom, and cook tortilla's till they start to bubble for the flour on each side, and about 45 seconds per side for the corn. Keep tortilla's warm in between dish towels on a plate.
When fish is done assemble tacos (make the salsa and coleslaw ahead, before cooking fish) I place about 1/2 a fish fillet on one side of a tortilla, and put a spoonful of coleslaw, and a spoonful of Mango salsa next. Fold in half like a taco and enjoy!!! Yummm!!
I served with fresh steamed vegies and Fiesta Zucchinni Corn (you can find that recipe with my Chipotle taco recipe look in vegetables)

Cajun Spice Mix

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspooon garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and store in air tight container. This is better if you can blend with a mortar and pestle, or a spice blender. (I just crushed the oregano and thyme with my fingers) I recommend keeping in an old salt shaker or spice bottle that you may have laying around to sprinkle on the fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...