Saturday, May 14, 2011

Almost Famous Roadhouse Rolls

I love  Texas Roadhouse Rolls and have been wanting to make them for a really long time. I was surfing the Internet and just typed in Texas Roadhouse Roll recipe, a bunch of different ones came up, but this one was the most common, so I had to give it a try. They turned out great! Not quite as good as the ones at the restaurant but close. This recipe makes a lot! I was thinking of cutting the recipe in half next time I make them, but I'd still use the whole package of yeast. Also, one recipe suggested using 1/2 cup sugar AND 1/2 cup honey..... might give that a try next time. But these were good! I just rolled my dough out and cut into squares... be sure you leave the dough about an inch thick so you get poofier rolls. But you can make into any shape you want. I also found a recipe for the cinnamon butter. There were alot of different versions of it, but the one I used is posted below, and I thought it was pretty close to the real thing. YUMMO! I think I ate 4 while they were still warm!!
Almost Famous Roadhouse Rolls
1 pkg (envelope) of active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
6 to 7 cups all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 whole eggs
2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Soften yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar. Scald milk; cool to lukewarm. Add yeast, sugar and enough flour (2 cups)t o make medium batter. Beat thoroughly. Let stand until light and foamy.
Add melted butter (which has been cooled), eggs, and salt. Beat well. Add enough flour to form soft dough. (I added 2 cups and then 1 cups of flour at a time till I got a good consistency) Sprinkle small amount of flour on counter and let dough rest.
Meanwhile, clean and dry bowl; grease clean surface of bowl. Knead dough until smooth and satiny. Put in greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover, let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
Punch down. Turn out on floured board. Divide into 4 portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes.
Shape dough into desired forms.  (I rolled mine out like you do cinnamon rolls only leave it 1 inch thick. Then I cut with a pizza cutter into about 12 squares)
Place on greased baking sheets. Let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or unitl slightly browned on top. Brush with butter and eat while warm!! Makes 4 to 5 dozen depending on how big you make them.

Cinnamon Butter 
1 and 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon

Blend all ingredients in a mixer until combined. Scrape down bowl and beater, then whip on medium high speed of mixer for 2 to 3 minutes. Mixture should lighten and become fluffy. Serve on hot rolls! YUMMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...