Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Di's Key Lime Pie


I LOVE key lime flavored anything... I've been trying to figure out a good keylime pie recipe that I could use Yoplait's Key Lime Pie Yogurt in for a looooong time.... Love that flavor of yogurt. I have looked and looked for one, and I found quite a few different ones, but nothing like what I was imagining in my head I guess. There were pies that were made with lime juice, eggs, and sweetened condensed milk, and then they were baked in the oven. Those looked kind of flat, and not what I wanted. Then there were some that were mixed with cream cheese and baked like a cheese cake... still didn't look like what I was thinking of. Then I thought, why not make the sweetened condensed milk w/ lime juice and eggs, but cook like a pudding, then add it to some cream cheese mixed with my yogurt! That would make it creamier, right? So here is what I came up with..... YUMMO!!!

Di's Key Lime Pie

For the crust:
1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons melted butter

For the filling:
4 egg yolks
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice (I used about 3 Tablespoons lemon juice and then added the rest regular lime juice to make 1/2 cup, it gives it a little tangier flavor more like key limes)
1 (8-ounce)  package cream cheese, room temperature
2  (6-ounce) containers Yoplait's Thick n'Creamy Key Lime Pie Yogurt
1 or 2 drops of green food coloring (if desired)

Topping:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 or 2 drops coconut extract (if desired)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make the crust combine the cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter together in a medium bowl until well combined. Pour into a 9-inch pie plate, then using the side of a measuring cup press mixture firmly up the sides of the pie plate, then use the bottom of the cup to press the rest of the crumbs firmly on the bottom of the pie plate.
Next, bake the pie crust at 350 degrees for aboaut 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool on wire rack while you make the filling.

For the filling: Beat the egg yolks on high speed with an eletric mixer for about 2 minutes until light yellow. Add the sweetened condensed milk and beat again for 30 more seconds. Transfer this mixture into a medium size saucepan. Place on stove at medium/low heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of lime juice. Continue to cook over medium/low heat, stirring frequently until mixture starts to bubble and thicken. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove from heat,  and stir in the food coloring if you are going to use it. Then let the mixture cool. (I placed mine in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.)

While filling is cooling, place cream cheese and yogurt in a medium size bowl, and cream together with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth.


Fold in the sweetened condensed milk and egg mixture into the cream cheese and yogurt mixture after it's cooled. Then pour into your graham cracker crust and chill for 3 to 4 hours or until set.

Make your whipped cream topping, but pouring the heavy whipping cream into a chilled mixing bowl (I place my mixer bowl and beaters in the freezer about 1/2 hour before I make my whipped cream so it's good and cold, this helps the whipping cream to whip up faster!)
Whip on high for about 2 -3minutes, keep an eye on this, you don't want to turn your whipping cream into butter. When it forms stiff peaks, add the powdered sugar and vanilla (and the drop of coconut extract if desired) and stir just to combine.
You can spread the whipped cream on your pie, but I like to put mine in a decorator bag with a large tip and swirl on the top of my pie, then I sprinkle just a few more graham cracker crumbs on top for a garnish. Slice into desired size piece and enjoy!  YUMMO!!!
Just what I had been craving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...