Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spicy Chicken Tacos

I've been experimenting again. The other day I decided to try making chicken tacos inspired by the Shrimp Quesadillas that I have posted already. The Shrimp in that recipe marinades in El Pato Sauce (mexican tomato sauce). I think that used to be hotter than it is now... or else maybe my tastes have changed and I like spicier stuff. But I thought I've give it try marinating my chicken in that and then also making my Chippotle Coleslaw recipe but adding black beans and corn to it. These tacos turned out YUMMO if I do say so myself!! I ate 3!!! I'm going to have to turn up the exercising if I keep that up. But you ought to give them a try. You could serve with mexican rice and a steamed veggie or salad...... Enjoy!

Spicy Chicken Tacos
Ingredients:

Corn Tortillas
4 or 5 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts halves, cut into bite size pieces
8 ounces, El Pato sauce (Mexican Tomatoe sauce in the yellow can in the Mexican food section)
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 of a Large Onion, diced
1 whole Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 whole Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 cups Cheese, Grated (Monterey Jack Is Best or a Mexican Blend is good too)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt To Taste

Chipotle Coleslaw ( will repost below adding Black beans and Corn)

Preparation Instructions:
Place cut up chicken breasts and garlic in a large bowl, add the El Pato sauce and toss to coat. Set aside.
Heat skillet over high heat and add olive oil. Cook vegetables over high heat until they start to get brown/black and are tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Return skillet to high heat, then dump in the chicken and garlic with the sauce. Cook, stirring only occasionally, until  chicken is cooked through and the sauce is mostly evaporated, should take about 8 to 10 minutes. Turn down the heat and add your cooked veggies, toss to combine.

You can prepare your taco shells either by spraying them individually with non-stick cooking spray, and laying them directly on the rack in a 350 degree oven. Cook 1 minute then turn over and cook another minute. Place in a covered dish lined with a dish cloth and cover to keep warm (if you have a tortilla warmer dish use that) or you can fry in about a 1/4 in deep oil in a skillet for about 45 seconds per side. Then fold in half and drain.
To assemble: Place a spoonful of the chicken mixture on your tortilla, then sprinkle on some cheese, then add a spoonful of the chipotle coleslaw, fold in half like a taco and ENJOY!! Bet you can't eat just one... I couldn't!


Chipotle Coleslaw
1/2 cup Best Foods Real Mayonaise
1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned, I just use1 or 2 peppers and a spoonfull of sauce and keep the rest in the freezer) REMEMBER these are quite spicy
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

1 regular size bag of classic coleslaw mix
1/2 can corn, drained
1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained --add the corn and beans when using on  tacos

Mix all ingredients together in a blender until smooth except for cabbage mixture and corn and black beans. Put Classic coleslaw mix into a large bowl, pour Chipotle sauce over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Cover and set aside in refrigerator 30 minutes or until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...