Friday, May 20, 2011

Beef and Veggie Noodle Bowls

I love eating out a Chinese Restaurants, and I expecially love noodle bowls or lo mein with the noodles. I was browsing on some of my favorite  recipe sites that I love to get ideas from when I found this original recipe for Beef Noodle Salad Bowls at http://thepioneerwoman.com/ it looked YUMMO! and looked like just what I was craving.... but as I read through the recipe, it was served cold and like a salad but with not many veggies in it. I wanted something warm and for a main dish, so I tweaked it a bit, and served it hot.  I added sugar snap peas and asparagus along with some chopped onion to it as well. I tried to make the sauce/dressing like she did, but I substituted with what I had in my pantry and  I doubled the sugar and added a Tablespoon of hoisin sauce. You could still serve it cold if desired, but YUM, this was good and just what I was craving. Enjoy!

Beef and Veggie Noodle Bowls
Ingredients:
1 to 2 pounds Petite Sirloin Steak
Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
¾ cups Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Pure Sesame Oil
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 or 2 teaspoons sriracha hot chile sauce (use the lesser amount if You Can't Handle Heat!)
2 cloves Garlic, Peeled And Minced Finely (or a teaspoon of the already minced stuff)
2 teaspoons Minced Fresh Ginger (remember those tubes of already minced ginger you can get in the produce department! easy to use!)
2 to 4 Tablespoons Packed Brown Sugar (start w/ 2 TBsps. and adjust to your taste)
1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce (optional)
2 teaspoons lemon juice (this just makes it taste fresher)Optional
1 Tablespoon minced Cilantro (again, I used the pre-chopped  tube) :o)

1 package Chow Mein Stir Fry Noodles(the kind you boil not the crunchy chow mein noodles (or you can use Thin Spaghetti)
1/2 large onion, diced
1 bunch of fresh asparagus, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups (approx.) sugar snap peas, ends and strings removed
Optional garhishes: chopped green onions or sesame seeds

Preparation Instructions:
Season both sides of the sirloin steaks with Montreal steak seasoning. Grill on an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan until medium rare. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, rice vinegar, hot chili sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar,  hoisin sauce, lemon juice and cilantro. Mix to combine, then taste and adjust flavors/seasonings to your taste. You can add more brown sugar if you like it just a bit sweeter, or more chili sauce for spicier sauce.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a medium skillet drizzle a little olive oil and heat over medium/high heat. When hot add the diced onions, saute for a couple of minutes, then add asparagus and sugar snap peas, and saute for a couple of minutes more or until veggies are crunchy tender.
Now slice the steak at an angle in thin slices and add along with the cooked noodles to your veggies in the skillet. Toss and cook over medium heat for a minute to heat the noodles through. Then add enough sauce to coat everything, (I think  I used about 3/4's of it. Save the rest for another stir fry or use as a salad dressing)
Garnish with sliced green onions or sesame seeds or a little more fresh cilantro.
You can serve this family style or serve in individual bowls, hence the name Beef and Veggie Noodle Bowls.
This also might be fun to try to eat  with chopsticks if you have them.

You’ll love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...